New build help.

pawhitetail

Just picked up a savage axis in 270win. I'm going to build a new long-range rig out of it. I do not want this to be a heavy build I want it to be packable hunting rig not a bench gun. So this is my build description and looking for any insight before I buy components.

Savage axis action with lightened trigger
criterion stainless 26" heavy sporter barrel chambered in 280 ackley nosler version
boyds featherweight thumbhole stock bedded and freefloated.
20 moa aluminum rail with aluminum tactical rings
And a 4-20 scope of some sort. Still not decided yet.

My biggest issue is deciding if the heavy sporter barrel and the featherweight stock will be adequate for a long range rig or should I go heavier?
Thanks for any input you may have

I think you'll really like that Criterion barrel.

If weight is one of your largest concerns, it's not uncommon to go with a 24 inch barrel for cartridges with 30-06 like case capacity. You won't lose accuracy with a shorter barrel. The velocity you lose will not be more than a few clicks on your scope at longer ranges. (I'm assuming you'll be shooting high BC bullets offered).

I'm not saying a 26 inch barrel is a bad idea. I've just always thought for hunting rifles, if you're trying to save weight I would rather keep a girthy profile barrel and sacrifice a couple inches of length.

I don't know how much the Boyd's featherweight stock actually weighs. However the couple Boyd's laminate stocks I have are not light at all. Laminated stocks are heavier than traditional wood generally speaking (at least the Boyd's I have are). The Boyd's laminated stocks seem rigid though and I've liked mine so far.

IMO it's also worth the few bucks to have Boyd's include the Limbsaver when you order the stock. Just make sure to determine your length of pull beforehand because the Limbsaver will add like an inch.

Have fun! Because that's what building your own semi custom is all about right? :)

Hope this helps!

Yes I'll be shooting high bc bullets. Looking at shooting 170-180 grain bullets and probably go with 8.5twist. Also shooting that heavy of a bullet I'd like to stay with the 26" barrel if possible. I have another axis with a boyds thumbhole varmint stock and varmint contour barrel and that thing is heavy so I'm trying to lighten this one up some. I saw where most people figured the heavy sporter contour at 3 lbs and the light varmint at 3.75 pounds. My varmint contour is like 4.75 lbs. Plus the boyds stock is extra heavy being a varmint model.

Just picked up a savage axis in 270win. I'm going to build a new long-range rig out of it. I do not want this to be a heavy build I want it to be packable hunting rig not a bench gun. So this is my build description and looking for any insight before I buy components.

Savage axis action with lightened trigger
criterion stainless 26" heavy sporter barrel chambered in 280 ackley nosler version
boyds featherweight thumbhole stock bedded and freefloated.
20 moa aluminum rail with aluminum tactical rings
And a 4-20 scope of some sort. Still not decided yet.

My biggest issue is deciding if the heavy sporter barrel and the featherweight stock will be adequate for a long range rig or should I go heavier?
Thanks for any input you may have

DID YOU BUILD THE ABOVE RIFLE, IF SO, DID THE CRITERION HEAVY SPORTER FIT HTE BOYD'S THUMBHOLE STOCK?

Was playing musical barrels one day and did try my Shaw heavy sporter in the Boyd's feather weight thumbhole. Tight but a small amount of sanding would have floated it.
Ended up keeping a savage sporter in the Boyds. My Boyd's is one of my nicest looking stocks. Draw back; as a hunting rifle the Savage safety is very awkward to operate. You have to remove your hand from the grip. I think on a Remington it would be fine. Something to think about if you hunt whitetail at "close" range!

Last edited:
Was playing musical barrels one day and did try my Shaw heavy sporter in the Boyd's feather weight thumbhole. Tight but a small amount of sanding would have floated it.
Ended up keeping a savage sporter in the Boyds. My Boyd's is one of my nicest looking stocks. Draw back; as a hunting rifle the Savage safety is very awkward to operate. You have to remove your hand from the grip. I think on a Remington it would be fine. Something to think about if you hunt whitetail at "close" range!
THANKS FOR THE INPUT! BTW, HOW HAVE THE SHAW BARRELS WORKED FOR YOU?

Shaw barrels are ok but not like Shilen, McGowen, Douglas or other "cut" barrels. I have had a couple Shaws that stood out from the others. But have had a very frustrating one (the heavy sporter) that finally is showing some promise after shortening and recrowning.
To me they are pretty much equal to a "good" Savage barrel.

Shaw barrels are ok but not like Shilen, McGowen, Douglas or other "cut" barrels. I have had a couple Shaws that stood out from the others. But have had a very frustrating one (the heavy sporter) that finally is showing some promise after shortening and recrowning.
To me they are pretty much equal to a "good" Savage barrel.
THANKS AGAIN!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.