Help with my build

jpfrog

I have a factory new Rem 700 ADL in 7mm mag that I'm tearing down and rebuilding as a 300 win mag. I have purchased a B&C M40 Medalist stock to replace the factory ADL stock. My question is around the cartridge feeding device.

I purchased a factory DM Trigger Guard and box mag setup that came off of a 700 PSS from a popular firearms related auction site. I figured this would be much better than cycling the bolt to remove round after round when unloading. I did so on the assumption that a 700 action is a 700 action, and the rest is just details on stock, barrel, etc.

I'm now reading posts- about 50/50 ratio where it says the factory DM option cannot be done without modification to the 700 action (removing feedrails?) The other 50% say it can be done do problem just by bending the lips of the box mag. I'm also noticing that it will probably require some modification to my new B&C stock to allow space for the mag release button, which I don't want to do but may have no choice.

I could make all of these problems go away by purchasing an HS-Presision or Badger Ordinance DM option, but I really do not want to spend $350 for an aftermarket option, and I don't want the kwik-klip kit either. Have I wasted my $94 on this factory DM from a 700PSS? Should I spend another $150 or so to get the BDL hinged floorplate bottom metal instead and try to sell my factory DM setup on the same site that I bought it from?

No matter what you do your going to need to change something. The factory DBM will need the stock modified for the magazine release. You shouldn't have to modify the feed rails. If you really want a DBM and not modify the stock get a H-S Precision DBM. If not being a DBM is no big deal get then get a factory BDL floor plate and sell the factory DBM.

Thanks for the response- I knew I had to go with one of those 3 options, just didn't know which would be the biggest pain or most costly- modify the stock and not be able to change my mind on the DBM down the road, or go the high $$ route and get a DBM from one of the aftermarket guys. THen there's the issue of reselling the factory DBM I already have (and have never used, but spent just shy of $100 for).

Fortunately, my smith was in need of such a DBM so we swapped- I ended up with the BDL floorplate option that he had on hand, which requires no extra work to the stock or action or anything, and he ended up with my factory DBM for another customer plus a few extra of my $$ make up for the price difference in the parts. Everyone's happy, and my build is now safe and remains versatile should I like to change my mind on the bottom metal down the road. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.