New budget - light LR rifle with Pictures.

Nice looking set up. Are you using factory ammo or reloads? If reloads, whats your favorite load?

Also, why the rail? I have always just done Leupold or Burris mounts. What advantage does the rail have over standard mounts? Not knocking your choice just trying to understand what the rail does... ??

Last question... What does the whole setup weigh?

Thanks!
hekin.

The rail enables me to change scopes at will and add accessories like ACI indicators etc. It also gives a much larger range of possition to mount the scope for correct eye relief depending on the build of the shooter.
If I wanted to use this rifle, I could take the scope off and move it forward a bit to suit my build and not have to worry about the scope setting changing much.

I have not put the rifle on the scales but the Tikka rifle plus scope and mounts would weigh about 8lb at the most. It is quite light.

We are still working up a load for this particular rifle. I started off with a load of 69gn AR2209 or H4350 and a Hornady 225gn SP bullet. This is a light load that has worked well in my .338WM Browning BAR before it was confiscated by the ban on semi auto's down here in Aus. It is also a light load in my .338WM Sako.

One problem that I have identified with the Tikka is that the box magazine is a lot shorter than my Sako L61 with the drop floor plate. This means that I can not use ammo made up for the Sako in the Tikka as it is too long for the magazine.

The throat of the Tikka is a lot shorter also, but this is probably due to the Sako having had a few thousand rounds put through it and some throat errosion.

My hot, long range load for the Sako with a 250 gn Hornady BTHP match projectile is no good for the Tikka due to pressure and case OAL requirements, so I will have to come up with another long range load for the Tikka. Been thinking about either the Hornady SST or Nosler AB.

Nice rig......Good shooting........

Fortunate son.......great dad.....

bad legs:D

+1

By the way, you are gonna ruin those white socks walking around outside in them!
icon10.gif

The scope has so far worked perfect. Good power range for a variety of hunting conditions and ranges, from up close to out to about 700 yards which is about as far as it will be used.

The only problem with the scope was that when I tried to reset the top turret to zero. I found the three little grub screws that hold the turret in place were very, very tight. I thought I might break something getting them loose.

In the end I got them loose and adjusted the scope to zero and replaced the turrets with a bit of grease on the grub screws so that next time they will be easy to get undone.

Hey Topshot

Nice looking rifle.

After you have shot with the scope awhile and have done some dialing maybe you could post back and give an update of what you think of it especially the adjustments. I would appreciate that if you find time.

I like the weight, the size the low profile turrets and the power range. I have never heard of Clearidge Optics. Thanks for posting.

hekin.

The rail enables me to change scopes at will and add accessories like ACI indicators etc. It also gives a much larger range of possition to mount the scope for correct eye relief depending on the build of the shooter.
If I wanted to use this rifle, I could take the scope off and move it forward a bit to suit my build and not have to worry about the scope setting changing much.

Interesting.. Where can one get such a rail?? Thanks!

:D
+1

By the way, you are gonna ruin those white socks walking around outside in them!
icon10.gif

Ha, Ha,.....They are my sons hairy legs. He works as a builders apprentice and is out in the sun all day long with work boots on. You end up with brown legs and white feet. They probably stink too!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.