new brass

G

I just got some new brass and want to work up a load for a new bullet. Will my loads shoot differently from new FL sized brass and than fired FL sized brass? Thanks

Harv, since the powder generates high prssures that expand the case to fit your specific rifle chamber, a new case is not chamber specific; therefore, if you are a precise shooter and handloader, there will be a significant difference. If you are shooting "F" or "X"'s, you won't notice much difference unless you compare exact atmosperic/ ambient conditions as well. Best wishes, Overbore javascript: x()
javascript: x()

So when you guys buy new brass the first shot is just to fit the brass to your chamber? Is there anything you can learn from the first shot with new brass?

New brass, properly prepped should show a lot of promise, on paper, or game. You should expect a "little" better accuracy, thereafter. The most significant component in the whole equation is the barrel, itself. That's my opinion.

Good hunting. LB

Harv,
If you have a concentricity guage you will notice that with new brass it is allmost impossible to get consistent runout,varying from .001 to .007 (just guessing) but after being fireformed if you size your brass correctly you can get from flatline to .002 runout that will make it more acurate.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.