New Peterson Brass

I am just now starting to test out my 6.5 creed brass. I was told it is good brass, is that consensus here? I bought 100 and the dry weights are consistent. The brass is super heavy compared to Hornady which appears to have affected the unfired internal volume considerably. 1x fired brass is still quite a difference but should hold my target charge weight without compression.

The only thing I noticed that was kind of underwhelming is neck thickness consistency. I skimmed the necks about .005 and it cleaned up most of the cases by 80%. there are a few that are still needing work but this brass is for a light hunter build so I am not sure shooting bugholes is needed.

I am just now starting to test out my 6.5 creed brass. I was told it is good brass, is that consensus here? I bought 100 and the dry weights are consistent. The brass is super heavy compared to Hornady which appears to have affected the unfired internal volume considerably. 1x fired brass is still quite a difference but should hold my target charge weight without compression.

The only thing I noticed that was kind of underwhelming is neck thickness consistency. I skimmed the necks about .005 and it cleaned up most of the cases by 80%. there are a few that are still needing work but this brass is for a light hunter build so I am not sure shooting bugholes is needed.

We shoot Peterson in my brothers 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a lot heavier than Hornady so you'll have to back off your charge 1-2 grains. We shoot 45.5gr of RL26 in his rifle with 140 ELDs and get 2860fps. It's not a max load but extremely accurate and consistent in his Savage. It's excellent brass from everything I've seen.

OK. I noticed in mine and virgin brass .5 grain reduction is about the same fps as the Hornady fire formed. The load that worked very well in the Hornady brass needs to be retested in fired Peterson with the hope it duplicates.

I also noticed with once fired Peterson brass we picked up about 15-20 FPS with the same load compared to virgin brass. The ES also went down with the once fired brass.

I also noticed with once fired Peterson brass we picked up about 15-20 FPS with the same load compared to virgin brass. The ES also went down with the once fired brass.

Good to know. I have 1 load that should work well enough in virgin to use for long range hunting. There was 1 round that skewed the es. It was far enough out of the group I figured it might be an anomaly. Quick retest is in order and test of 1x fired brass for final load hopefully will get me there. I really want to shoot my next wolf with this rifle since that is what I built it for.

Good to know. I have 1 load that should work well enough in virgin to use for long range hunting. There was 1 round that skewed the es. It was far enough out of the group I figured it might be an anomaly. Quick retest is in order and test of 1x fired brass for final load hopefully will get me there. I really want to shoot my next wolf with this rifle since that is what I built it for.

What load are you shooting in yours?

My preferred load is 47.5 rl26 140eld in Hornady formed brass. Initial showed .1-.2 groups with 11es and 5 sd. 2822 avg.

Peterson virgin test of 46.5 rl 26 140 eld. 16es 6.7sd 2766 avg. .75 moa. I am not sure if I pulled shot or not. I had 3 in one bigger hole and 1 out of the group besides the crazy flier that opened the group to 1.2. I think something was wrong with that round.

My preferred load is 47.5 rl26 140eld in Hornady formed brass. Initial showed .1-.2 groups with 11es and 5 sd. 2822 avg.

Peterson virgin test of 46.5 rl 26 140 eld. 16es 6.7sd 2766 avg. .75 moa. I am not sure if I pulled shot or not. I had 3 in one bigger hole and 1 out of the group besides the crazy flier that opened the group to 1.2. I think something was wrong with that round.
Sounds like a good load. I love RL26 in the Creedmoor and it's worked great in everything we have tried it in. How long is your barrel? My brother's is 26" and I was still surprised by the velocity we got with only 45.5 grains

20". This rifle is getting the Peterson brass. It's a light weight long range wolf hunter. It is supposed to have a suppressor but I am sure you guess the nightmare I'm going through there. FML. 13 months and counting.

I have a 24" I run for PRS matches but currently I don't have a pet load with 140's for it. I have a pet load with 147's at 2794 avg with 3 sd that is .2-.3. 46.5 rl26. I plan to switch to 140's though and keep the 147's for my 6.5-284's.

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpg
    IMG_6703.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 87
That's a nice rifle man! You're getting good speed for a 20" barrel. Nice to see the 147s are working for you in your PRS rig as well. I was going to get those initially for my brother's rifle but decided to just run the 140s

I don't think there is enough difference in BC etc vs the fps to warrant the 147 in a small case. Based on all the numbers for the 1k and less ranges the 140's have the advantage in less elevation error and lower recoil. I am happy with 147's in general though. Easy to tune. For my purpose the 140 is going to work just fine. Initially this was going to be a shorter range rifle but the numbers support being able to hunt longer. Hell an 8lb rifle that shoot well makes me giggle.

I don't think there is enough difference in BC etc vs the fps to warrant the 147 in a small case. Based on all the numbers for the 1k and less ranges the 140's have the advantage in less elevation error and lower recoil. I am happy with 147's in general though. Easy to tune. For my purpose the 140 is going to work just fine. Initially this was going to be a shorter range rifle but the numbers support being able to hunt longer. Hell an 8lb rifle that shoot well makes me giggle.

This is the exact reason I stuck with the 140s. His shots will all be under 800 yards and the 140 is perfect for that. And yeah if that rifle hammers that will be one heck of a hunting rig man!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.