New Best Friend

basset

got this little guy last sunday hes 8 weeks old. his name is jasper im not sure if i want to train him on rabbits or squirrel yet. i have a ten month old beagle thats just starting to run rabbits. bassets are alot slower so they probably wont make the best team to work togeather

Attachments

• Jasper2.jpg
    Jasper2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 117
well jasper and i took alittle walk through a great field with stonewalls had a good time in the summer sun. my main reason for going is the shooting range just a little further down the road gun shots dident faze him at all.

As far as the shorter bassets go, my one grandfather used to like and use only short beagles because they didn't run as fast or run the rabbits into the next parrish. I don't think he liked to track down the dogs at the end of the hunt. Squirrel dogs, on the other hand, he had a very large and fluffy collie mix to use as the tree dog. He used smaller feists to keep them treed. Once the big dog got to moving, he was GONE.

I have taken him squirrel hunting quit a few times this year. He really isn't hunting but I haven't lost a squirrel due to thick leave cover he comes up with them every time not always happy to give them up to me though. I keep hoping he will start tracking them on his own sooner or later he will get a sight run. Many that will make the light come on

Good looking puppy there. I know this was 5 months ago from that photo so I am sure is he a big guy now. I have a beagle. I love her to much to let her run rabbits. I am afraid she'll take off and never come back. She definitely has the drive and speed though. At my local dog park she runs them out fenced in area and works the perimeter. Its really interesting and fun to watch. I used my buddies fiest one season for squirrel and we shot right around 180 for the season!! We would get our 12 squirrel limit everytime we went out!! I think squirrel hunting is the most difficult to train a dog on since they have to find the freshest sent amongst hundreds dense hardwoods. They also have to wait patiently at the bottom so they do not run the squirrel off. Good luck with your battle buddy hopefully he'll pick it up soon. gun)

Thanks I wish his squirrel hunting ability was going as fast as his growth but if it was to easy it wouldent be as much fun lol my son has 6 or 7 beagles runs them all on rabbits.

Lol well now that we have about ten inches of snow jasper doesn't care about squirrel hunting as much as he did with one or two. He has a little trouble getting around.

Squirrel season ends in a couple weeks I hope to get out there at least a few more times. How was everyones season this year? Mine was great working with the dog. He is shaping up concidering I dident expect him to. Have any interest.

I haven't been at all this season. I have been deer hunting and just target shooting. My beagle has been escaping the yard so there's no way I can trust her out in the open wilderness. Have shot any small game off your basset? Got any more photos of the big guy?

Just a few squirrels so far no other pictures at this time but I'm working on it. I dident deer hunt this year but I spent a lot of time with jasper chasing squirrels come Jan. 1 I hope to hunt rabbits with my son and his beagles.

Thinks I may try working our little mini dachshund, Kipper, on squirrels. He hangs out at the bay window peaking over the sill to spot those furry tailed tree rats. Once he sees one he dashes for the backdoor!

He really gets after 'em out back. Very good at keeping the spotted in the trees and working his way around the base of that tree. Nice thing about those short little legs, he doesn't cover ground the way my sighthounds do. Easier to keep close.

Deer season ended at twilight New Years Day. Things will slow down out at the hunt club until turkey season begins in March. Means we will have the woods pretty much to ourselves.

Good luck with Jasper. We rarely have to worry about snow interfering with hunting plans; a couple of inches of rain a day maybe, but not snow.

Attachments

• Kipper on overwatch.png
    Kipper on overwatch.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts