New .22 advice

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by J.G.W, Aug 6, 2018.

1. J.G.W

J.G.W Well-Known Member

I need a new .22 rifle. My two eldest daughters (aged 8 & 10) have outgrown the Savage rascal I brought the eldest for her 5th birthday. They are using an old Stirling M14 that I learned to shoot with 30+ years ago, it was an old rifle then and has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it. They have reached the point they’d rather be using my .223 because the old .22 just isn’t accurate enough. Not a bad thing but they will send me broke feeding it!
    So what I want is something they can shoot with but that I can still use comfortably. I was thinking about one of The Ruger American rifles, I like the interchangeable cheek piece idea to give the kids a bit more height/better cheek weld.
    Thoughts??

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Mark M.

Mark M. Well-Known Member

I would check out the CZ 455, high quality, best bang for the buck, also has a quick change barrel system that allows you to switch to any rimfire cartridge

Dave in WI and Waynzee like this.
  3. 6.5x47hunter

6.5x47hunter Well-Known Member

try upgrading to Savage 17HMR

last i saw Midsouth had 17HMR for $89/500rds

dimes at 100yds

300whisper likes this.
  4. Waynzee

Waynzee Well-Known Member

Ruger American is a good deal, I have a Ruger 10/22 that's a tack driver but it is finicky and will only shoot certain kinds of ammo accurately. A friend has the Ruger American and it will shoot most 22 ammo accurately. Both Rifles shoot under 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo.

5. Wlfdg

Wlfdg Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger American Rimfire standard. It shoots most anything well. It's very accurate with standard velocity ammo, except CCI standard which it won't feed at all.

Waynzee likes this.
  6. J.G.W

J.G.W Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I am going to go with the Ruger American stainless, local gun shop will do me a sweet deal. Waynzee if I was allowed to own a 10/22 here in Australia I’d have one for sure, you’ve got to love uneducated lawmakers don’t you :mad:

Waynzee and Wlfdg like this.