.22 lead ammo banned in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handymike

I was going to do a little ground squrriel hunting out in the desert and was informed that .22 lead ammo cannot be used for any hunting here in Calif.
Does anyone have info on best non lead .22 LR or .22WFM ammo

I guess we can roll our own by re-using 22LR cases:
and buying 22 projectiles from Cal. approved sources:
LOL or maybe crying

Another, REMINDER of WHY,.. I left that State 30+ Years ago !
Thanks for,.. the reminder !
BaZillions of, People, "Trapped" in a Quagmire of,.. Chit !
Sadly, there's still, a LOT of GOOD People there, but NOT enough, to Vote, the idjits, out !
Here's, a Prime example of the Frog in the Pot on, the Stove,..
NOW, the Water,. IS,.. Boiling, folks !

Last edited:
I haven't found a good lead free 22LR ammo, I believe because it is hard to stabilize the lighter projectiles well with the limited case capacity. I switched to 22WMR for hunting and honestly like it better because it is flatter shooting and I was never much of a fan of 22LR to begin with. I use the CCI TNT Green ammo which uses a Speer 30gr projectile. Run it through my CZ 512 and 457 and it performs well, better with the 512 actually. I am not familiar enough to with the less popular 22WRF to compare but I would imagine CCI might have an offering.

BaZillions of stupid People, "Trapped" in a Quagmire of,.. Chit !
Sadly, there's still, a LOT of GOOD People there, but NOT enough, to Vote, the idjits, out !
They will never vote them out, but, If they all pool their resources they might be able to sue them out of the chokehold they have on them. Personally, I would let them have it, and let them finish turning it into something they even cannot live in.

I do miss, the Coast, the Ocean ( Loved catching some, fresh Fish, to Eat ) a few, Friend's,.. BUT,.. NOTHING, else !
And I DID enjoy, Roaming the Desert,.. blasting Diseased, Wormy, Jack Rabbit's with, my .22 Rifles, using those CHEAP, Lead Bullets

Last edited:
YUP,.. I am Left Handed and try to use, the "Right" side of my Brain, whenever possible !
Idaho, still IS, around, 65-70 Percent, Conservative, Gun owning, Repub., BUT, it's,..
Starting to,.. "Dwindle", some !
SADLY, lots of Newbie's from, Ore, Wash, Cali,.. EVEN,..Texans are coming HERE, now !
I CAN, "Live with", most,.. Texans ! ! LOL !

Last edited:
The commercial non lead 22LR is crap, you are doing well if you can keep out to 4MOA.

One time consuming and expensive option is making your own with the Cutting Edge CuRX .22 kits. The 32gn Cutting Edge 22 bullets work well in a standard gun; the heavier bullets need faster twist barrels. I have the 32gn shooting ~1MOA at 50yds and 1-1/2MOA at 100 yards.

Another alternative is a good pellet gun. The no lead rules only apply to firearms, so you can use traditional lead pellets.

These are the only nonlead option I could find and they are not good. 4" group at 50yds out of my Cz 457 that will shoot most ammo very well and $17.00/box. This lead ban is a joke🤬

Attachments

• 090BB341-0729-45FF-9A58-0337C6D47D7C.jpeg
    090BB341-0729-45FF-9A58-0337C6D47D7C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
BaZillions of, People, "Trapped" in a Quagmire of,.. Chit !
Exactly what I was going to say, "VOTE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.