New barrel chamber off center, 2 lands going back to neck... Pictures

I discovered a crooked chambering when I scoped a new rifle. Fortunately, I ran the bore scope through the barrel before shooting it. The manufacturer argued with me that the rifle was fine, until I threatened to name the maker and post the photos. They installed a new barrel and had it back to me within 3 weeks. This has happened to me twice, different brand each time. The Teslong bore scoped paid for itself in just that one use. Now, I bring the Teslong with me whenever buying a rifle, new or used. Interestingly, I see these crooked chambers more often in new guns than old guns. I wonder how many people are out there hopelessly flogging away trying countless different handloads on a rifle with a crooked chamber.

I'm not sure if you know or care, but you just gave us all access to a bunch of other photos too.

Want to see a brand new factory bbl, on a brand new rifle ......

The rifle was sent back to the mfg, unfired, but for the factory.

Shall remain classified, pending the mfg resolution....or not....

Attachments

• 20220211_200255.jpg
    20220211_200255.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 20220211_195849.jpg
    20220211_195849.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20220211_200247.jpg
    20220211_200247.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 168
This also happens when the chambering has been done right, but the rifling is cut deeper on one side. The reamer is centered, but it cuts away the shallow rifling on one side. Still the manufacturers fault, weather they chambered it or not.

Seen this on 3 rifles. 2 Howa's and a Remington 700,all in 7rm.
The Howa importer wasn't interested. It shot the light pills at about an inch but accuracy went down hill the heavier the pills got.
I think it can happen if the manufacturer spins the reamer rather than the barrel whilst chambering.

I am not a gunsmith, but the way I understand it, the lands being cut away more on one side than the other most likely happens when the chambering process is two steps. The first step cuts the chamber but not the throat, and the second step then cuts just the throat. This method is used to allow different freebore and different neck diameters. If the throating step is not carefully done, the cutter can get off center, perhaps where the throating reamer is unpiloted(?) and/or operated by hand(?).

Last edited:
The chamber reamer will/should cut everything in one pass!
I bought an aftermarket barrel once with the same defect, no throat or lead angle cut. The manufacturer refused to repair it. I'm not sure how it happened but their threading process had failed and you could see evidence of a crash of the threading tool into the shoulder.
The barrel indexing must have been knocked out too and a subsequent new setup left the reamer off center.
I headspace it and shot it. After 53 break-in shots I took it hunting. Shot 54 got me my second largest Minnesota buck!

I know a TOP "F" Class Shooter and has chambered many winning barrels. He had a discussion on an off-center Chamber effecting accuracy. His point of view was that the bullet is leaving the Case in the Chamber at such great speed and in fractions of a second that what effects the bullet's travel is the rifling in the barrel. He purposely chambered a barrel off center , shot a "F" Class Match, won it, and then gave the brass to the person he had a disagreement with. The Other person places the Brass on a flat/straight surface and said "I can't use this brass-they are all crooked". My friend made his point.
Don't always think that by looking at a chamber with a bore scope that it is not a good barrel and won't shoot.
Maybe before you automatically send a rifle back to the Manufacture from just looking at it with a bore scope. Take pictures, contact the manufacture, and actually shoot the rifle. If the accuracy is way off then you have information and evidence to get the Manufacture to replace the rifle.
Now the pictures (Post #19) of the Muzzle/Crown with the rifling having chatter machine marks in the land/groves - I would go back to the rifle manufacture.
Personally I want to chamber a barrel to perfection, but there is a lot to say on how the barrel was rifled. You can have a great chamber and a terrible rifling process = poor accuracy.

I know a TOP "F" Class Shooter and has chambered many winning barrels. He had a discussion on an off-center Chamber effecting accuracy. His point of view was that the bullet is leaving the Case in the Chamber at such great speed and in fractions of a second that what effects the bullet's travel is the rifling in the barrel. He purposely chambered a barrel off center , shot a "F" Class Match, won it, and then gave the brass to the person he had a disagreement with. The Other person places the Brass on a flat/straight surface and said "I can't use this brass-they are all crooked". My friend made his point.
Don't always think that by looking at a chamber with a bore scope that it is not a good barrel and won't shoot.
Maybe before you automatically send a rifle back to the Manufacture from just looking at it with a bore scope. Take pictures, contact the manufacture, and actually shoot the rifle. If the accuracy is way off then you have information and evidence to get the Manufacture to replace the rifle.
Now the pictures (Post #19) of the Muzzle/Crown with the rifling having chatter machine marks in the land/groves - I would go back to the rifle manufacture.
Personally I want to chamber a barrel to perfection, but there is a lot to say on how the barrel was rifled. You can have a great chamber and a terrible rifling process = poor accuracy.
That was my post, re. the chatter marks at the muzzle.

I did send the rifle back to the mfg, in unfired condition, as I noticed the marks cleaning the gun prior to breaking it in.

They sent it to their gunsmith who said, not only were the chatter marks a defect, and never should have left the factory, but that also the gun was unsafe to fire because of excessive head space.

To their credit, they 100% stood behind their product, even though I wasn't the original owner....the gun was nib for me, just wasn't the first buyer.

Anyway, they are going to re-bbl the rifle as well as take care of other issue that that particular model has had.

Thinking it's going thru their custom shop for the repairs.

As the saying goes...shciittt happens, and that was obviously an escape from QC. As an engineer, I deal with many mfgrs and suppliers. The companies that continue to get our business stands behind their products, because as I said.......shciittt happens.

Last edited: