Chamber neck reamer

harfman99

Does anyone have a 284 .319 neck reamer a guy could rent. I have a ten minute job to do and would rather rent/borrow one instead buying one from ptg.

Thanks
Chris.

harfman99,

Hopefully someone has contacted you through the PM system or e-mail if you listed one.

If not, I can suggest that you set up a boring bar with 2 indicators or a DRO and simply bore out the neck, Still a simple 10 minute job when it comes right down to it. It also saves buying a bunch of tooling...

Regards.

Just curious, Why do you need a .319 neck? .318 is .035 over the bore and leaves .015 wall thickness for the brass and you need .004.

If you want more clearance, Turning is the easiest as long as you don't go below .011 wall.

J E CUSTOM

I don't know what he is working on but all 7mm brass doesn't have .015" thick necks. I have a big box of Norma 7mm SAUM brass that is going to need a .320" chamber to have .004" clearance. My dummy rounds with Berger 168 gr bullets measure .316".

I don't know what he is working on but all 7mm brass doesn't have .015" thick necks. I have a big box of Norma 7mm SAUM brass that is going to need a .320" chamber to have .004" clearance. My dummy rounds with Berger 168 gr bullets measure .316".

Some brass is thicker than .014 to .015 (average size) thousandths like you said and must be dealt
with but Rather than alter the chamber and render it useless to other brands of brass wouldn't it be easier to turn the necks ?

I also personally don't like throater's and neck reamers but prefer to use the original chamber reamer with the right neck or throat dimensions for best alignment (Between the pilot and the reamer body the throat, neck, freebore and lead are all cut true to the bore and cartridge centerline.

Turning the necks also keeps everything in alignment and improves the grip consistency on the bullet

J E CUSTOM

Some brass is thicker than .014 to .015 (average size) thousandths like you said and must be dealt
with but Rather than alter the chamber and render it useless to other brands of brass wouldn't it be easier to turn the necks ?

I would need more specific information about his cartridge before I could answer that or even know if he is rendering his chamber useless to other brands of brass. There are several 7mm cartridges that have a SAAMI spec larger than .319".

For my 7mm SAUM, the chamber neck would need to be .320". That is actually smaller than SAAMI specs, not larger.

I would need more specific information about his cartridge before I could answer that or even know if he is rendering his chamber useless to other brands of brass. There are several 7mm cartridges that have a SAAMI spec larger than .319".

For my 7mm SAUM, the chamber neck would need to be .320". That is actually smaller than SAAMI specs, not larger.

+1

There is another post that might clear some of this up for him.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/know-your-chamber-172032/

just like you said, all chambers are different and have to be treated differently.

J E CUSTOM

Like so many other threads, the original post just didn't supply enough information,,,,, it was just a request to rent or borrow a neck reamer. Hopefully, when he gets the tool in hand, he understands what he is doing. Neck reamers and throating reamers cut quickly and easily. Most times you can't hardly feel them cut. If you're doing chamber work you should own the tools,,,, and I just don't trust rented tools. If you can 'risk' a $300-$350 barrel and maybe a 6 month wait,,,,, "rent away!"

Last edited:
Had a call from a guy who had a .284 Win Reamer made with a .315" neck. The Lapua 6.5/285 brass necked up to .284 and loaded (unturned neck) has a loaded diameter of .3125". Told the guy his know it all attitude had finally caught up with him. He has now been through three very reputable gunsmiths. He has a barrel that may be to short to set back. I told him that I would charge the same for setting his barrel back and chambering a new barrel. It takes more time and skill to properly set a barrel back. He whined that I charged too much and luckily has gone his own way.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.