Rough Neck Chamber

rcoody

Guys I have an interesting problem. I recently purchased a premium barrel from a well respected source that will remain unnamed. I know they would take the barrel back and replace it but being the do-it-yourselfer I am I want to fix it myself.

Now this is an AR-15 so please don't lose interest. It is still a barrel. First time I fired it it just locked up tight. Had to remove the lower and tap the bolt carrier to get it to unlock. I took it back home and checked it with the go/no go gages and everything was good. Checked the bolt and extractor and everything was good.

Looking at the brass I noticed two long scratches on the neck (see pic below). I suspicioned a bur in the neck. well that gave me an excuse to buy me a new toy. Got the new Lyman borescope. now my pics are not the best. It has a really clear view but every time I moved to hit the capture button I got them a little out of focus. I still think you can see what I believe is my problem. I think that ridge and the bur are from when they stopped the reamer when they were chambering it.

I ordered a couple of flexi hones that are about 10 thousands larger than what saami says the neck should be and plan to polish up just the neck. Got the 400 and 800 grit. Figured I would polish a little bit and take a look and repeat till its smooth. Flex-Hone®, Cross Hole Deburring, Ball Hones

20160922_210928_001_resized_zps9f3wpnet.jpg

PICT0006_zpsq9foui9w.jpg

PICT0005_zpshwo2hkcr.jpg

PICT0012_zpsqj5hvmly.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to know what I'm seeing from the pictures.

That's a tough place to work to correct any flaws in the chamber. I'd think a chamber reamer run in there carefully by hand would be the better fix. I would send it back. But that's neither here nor there.

Let us know how it goes?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.