New barrel chamber off center, 2 lands going back to neck... Pictures

2591j

I bought a new barrel and found the chamber off center. Two lands run back to the neck. I really don't know how much that would hurt accuracy. Would you keep it or send it back? How would something like this be fixed? Thank you for your replies!

2 pictures 180 degrees apart

Attachments

• WIN_20220313_15_57_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220313_15_57_26_Pro.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 636
  • WIN_20220313_15_57_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220313_15_57_52_Pro.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 574
I bought a new barrel and found the chamber off center. Two lands run back to the neck. I really don't know how much that would hurt accuracy. Would you keep it or send it back? How would something like this be fixed? Thank you for your replies!

You fix it with a new barrel. You purchased a barrel to be machined within standard specifications and you did not receive one. Barrels are not cheap and this one should have never left the shop. I would also expect to be placed at head of work flow as well.

Thanks for your post I just got a teslong and am learning to use it! This is good information here ! I now have something to add to my look for it list!! Tribb

I discovered a crooked chambering when I scoped a new rifle. Fortunately, I ran the bore scope through the barrel before shooting it. The manufacturer argued with me that the rifle was fine, until I threatened to name the maker and post the photos. They installed a new barrel and had it back to me within 3 weeks. This has happened to me twice, different brand each time. The Teslong bore scoped paid for itself in just that one use. Now, I bring the Teslong with me whenever buying a rifle, new or used. Interestingly, I see these crooked chambers more often in new guns than old guns. I wonder how many people are out there hopelessly flogging away trying countless different handloads on a rifle with a crooked chamber.

Last edited:
I discovered a crooked chambering when I scoped a new rifle. Fortunately, I ran the bore scope through the barrel before shooting it. The manufacturer argued with me that the rifle was fine, until I threatened to name the maker and post the photos. They screwed on a new barrel and had it back to me within 3 weeks. This has happened to me twice, different brand each time. The Teslong bore scoped paid for itself in just that one use. Now, I bring the Teslong with me whenever buying a rifle, new or used. Interestingly, I see these crooked chambers more often in new guns than old guns. I wonder how many people are out there hopelessly flogging away trying countless different handloads on a rifle with a crooked chamber.

I am just not sure how INTHe!! that could happen I have chambered more barrels than I can count and never had that happen even when I first started chambering barrels LOL.

Call me stupid but I'm not sure what you mean or what you are looking at for the crooked chamber in the pictures
You can see in one of the photos the lands are in the neck of the chamber. Meaning the reamer wasn't making full contact on that portion. The reamer float has nowhere else to go besides into the bore, the only way for there to still be lands in the neck is if the chamber is crooked. The bore scope uses a mirror in front of the camera so that you can see up and back. You're looking at the mirror showing the neck of the chamber.

Last edited: