Barrel set-back and re-chamber question

benchracer

I have a 26" #4 Contour Krieger barrel that is currently chambered in 6.5-284 NORMA. It has a low round count (fewer than 100 rounds), so I am hoping that the steel hasn't hardened to the point that it will make a re-chamber job difficult.

I am considering having the barrel re-chambered to .264WM. How far would it need to be set back? Asked another way, how much barrel length would I lose in the process?

A 264 Winchester Mag is bigger in every direction. You shouldn't lose any length.

I have a 26" #4 Contour Krieger barrel that is currently chambered in 6.5-284 NORMA. It has a low round count (fewer than 100 rounds), so I am hoping that the steel hasn't hardened to the point that it will make a re-chamber job difficult.

I am considering having the barrel re-chambered to .264WM. How far would it need to be set back? Asked another way, how much barrel length would I lose in the process?

I'm no smith but from conversations and my own questions, expect at least 1", but for the cost of it and the time without your rifle plus the fact that your not gaining all that much why would you do this again? If you just have a bug shoot the throat out of what you have then consider it.

The 264 WM is larger so the tenon does not have to be cut. I would how ever set the barrel shoulder back enough to rotate the current barrel ID down under the stock (.030 to .040).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.