New AR15 sub-forum because 73% of LRH Poll respondents own or plan to own an AR15

Re: New AR15 sub-forum because 73% of LRH Poll respondents own or plan to own an AR1

No doubt they are 1k yd rifles. The AR10s I would think more so. AR15 cals, maybe not quite 1k yds for even p-dogs. And they are hunting rifles no problems there. I'd say they belong on the forum.

Re: New AR15 sub-forum because 73% of LRH Poll respondents own or plan to own an AR1

They are 1k rifles if they are in the right caliber and the shooter knows his/her dope on it ! There are many calibers out there now that will do the task some are the 6mm AR Turbo IMP. ,6.5 Grendel.25 wssm etc. They will be there at 600 yrds. no problem. The larger AR 10 platform has many choices for everything but with that you have the extra weight and that is where the smaller 15 platform comes into the scene. I really would like to see the stigma of the Black Rifle be wiped away and given a fair chance by everyone even if they don't shoot or never plan on owning one .

:D

Len, this is great news ! But, you're so good at seeing trends; and the Ar is more than a trend in MHO. I've just about given up on shooting bolt guns now that I've seen how accurate the ARs can be. No doubt about it; they positively RULE in the PD towns ! I have four complete ARs and three more lowers. Always looking to talk ARs with like minded people. Lots of choices in calibers, barrels, makers. I'll never forget a good friend, God rest his soul, who I believe was the first guy to look at an AR and say, "I bet I can make that thing shoot better". So he pulled the barrel and put a heavy "bull" barrel on it and sure enough, it shot, as I remember, sub MOA. That was waaay back in the late 60s. Not much else took place til recent years; then it exploded on the scene! TV shows, magazines, forums, custom builders, custom parts. Yeah, I think it's more than a trend. Thanks for getting this started; it's much appreciated !
Charles

I understand that custom AR's can have 1/2 moa accuracy.

Len,

You understand incorrectly; plenty of run of the mill ARs will deliver 1/2 MOA. I'd expect that at a minimum from a good custom built rifle with a decent barrel. My friend John Feamster once entered a registered BenchRest match with one, and shot an "official screamer" group with it in one of the 100 yard matches. That's a five-round group coming in at under 0.1" or roughly 1/10th MOA.

Benchresters really hate it when things like this happen.

Len, I kinda think you understand correctly ...about custom uppers. Yes, they will and better shoot 1/2 inch or less or you over paid ! But, Kevin is also right; several "store" bought ARs will shoot 1/2 inch. I have three custom uppers in wildcat cal.s that routinely shoot in the 3s with 1s and 2s not that uncommon. Charles

The AR- is the most fun gun ever designed.

Attachments

• Dads AR-15 Number 1.jpg
    Dads AR-15 Number 1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Dads AR-15 Photo 3.jpg
    Dads AR-15 Photo 3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 82

This will be a great forum, as I am also starting to get into The AR platform, as well as the LR bolt guns that I have shot for years! I really enjoy my bolt guns, but lately started working on the two AR's that I own. I'm looking at getting a third. This new AR forum with be of tremendous help, as it has been over the years for my bolt guns.

Thanks Len!

Len all the comments about the 1/2" groups are correct but what hasn't been said is that the wildcat calibers available for the AR 15 lower come pretty close to matching the .308 and in some cases are better as they offer more BC efficient choices of bullets to reload and you are accopmlishing this without the added weight of the AR 10 size platform. They do give bolt guns a run for their money so it really comes down to the shooter that makes the difference the way I see it. The other advantage is that you really aren't using anymore powder than if you were loading for the 5.56 only getting better performance.

:D

RamBowMike, that's a serious "fun gun" ! I like it ! But, a question for you; what kind of oil is in the Windex bottle and what do you spray with it? The bolt carrier?

RamBowMike, that's a serious "fun gun" ! I like it ! But, a question for you; what kind of oil is in the Windex bottle and what do you spray with it? The bolt carrier?

I keep Rem oil in the windex spray bottle and keep my bolt carrier well lubed using only (Pro-Shot Zero Friction) It's a premium ultra high tech synthetic lubricant. It's the best stuff to use on moving parts. I don't ever use grease.

Attachments

• Dads AR-15 Photo 2.JPG
    Dads AR-15 Photo 2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Thaks, RamBowMike, but now I want some of the synthetic oil. Where do you get it? And what's the Rem oil for; just general lubing?

The Rem oil is to wipe down all exterior metal parts such as the bi-pod, and the barrels of my other firearms. It's superior to W-D 40.
The Pro-Shot synthetic oil can usually be purchased at your favorite gun store or google search for Pro-Shot Zero Friction Synthetic oil.

Attachments

• Dads AR-15 Photo on desk.jpg
    Dads AR-15 Photo on desk.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.