New 7mag

Sounds like a sweet shooting gun. Sucks you had to spend extra time and money to get it to where it is though. What bipod do you use for hunting
Get ready to spend time and money if you get bit by the bug, lol. I'm sure others can vouch for this.

Lugging around a a heavy rifle is a matter of conditioning. I train all year for hunting season so that I don't have to skimp on the gear I choose and I'm ready to haul meat out.
I have several variable powered SWFA SS scopes. I have never had a problem with them in any way. They're extremely durable.
I get a lot of it is about conditioning - but why haul more than you need to? The Tikka Superlites are incredibly accurate. So are Barrett Fieldcrafts. If these light accurate rifles can be had in the cartridge you want, and it is primarily a hunting rifle and not a target rifle, there is no reason not to go lightweight.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/52258/savage+57035+10/110+long+range+hunter+bolt+7mm+remington+magnum+26+3+1+accufit
Savage long range hunter 7mm rem mag
8.1 lbs 9.5 twist

Federal factory ammo 168 Berger's stabile in 9.5 twist
Screenshot_20191128-182726.png

162 eldx precision hunter factory ammo stable in 9.5 twist.
Screenshot_20191128-182147.png

The 160-168gr bullets in @ 7mm rem mag factory ammo velocities gets you the near equivalent ballistics of 6.5 creedmoor 140gr factory ammo but with more ft/lbs energy in the 7mm rem mag

Yes more twist for 180gr : 8.7 to 8.5 twist for optimal. 195gr 8 twist optimal

Last edited:
Remington has justlyjhad a bad name for putting out rifles that had flaws. But, I have sent two of them back cause they wouldn't shoot, and they never gave me any trouble, no questions asked and they fixed them to where they would shoot good when I got them back. One was 6 years old when I sent it back. The bad about Remington: it's possible to get a flawed rifle that won't shoot, but so it is from another company. The good: it's the chevy 350 of rifles, more than double the aftermarket parts available than any other rifle, longer magazine box than any others in long action, every gunsmith that's touched a rifle is familiar with a 700 and will work on them even if the won't work on any other bolt action.
I have been shooting Remington rifles since 1965 and and have found they have varied a great deal. Best period was 1960 to 1980. We had jewel bolted 700's well designed and finished 788's , all were good unless you overloaded wanting them to shoot like a .243 in a 222. I consider it an advantage having all Remington rifles as parts are plentiful and components can be swapped around when doing a rebuild. Triggers can be reworked by fitting lighter springs and screw adjustments. Actions are very plain making them easy to bed, unlike the European models with levers and springs in the bedding area. Sometime ago I had 6 different make rifles and sold everything except the Remington's

Owned in multiples: ruger 77, Winchester 70, Tikka T3, Mauser, rem 700, Browning xbolt, Savages, weatherby ,custom actions. I liked them all. Wish I had them all back. But I've kept mostly Remington & Savage. Have one xbolt left. Might buy an m70 soon to build from, still haven't made up my mind yet.

I get a lot of it is about conditioning - but why haul more than you need to? The Tikka Superlites are incredibly accurate. So are Barrett Fieldcrafts. If these light accurate rifles can be had in the cartridge you want, and it is primarily a hunting rifle and not a target rifle, there is no reason not to go lightweight.
Man I'll be using this more on the range then I will hunting. And the majority of the hunting I'll be doing with it will probably be in a stand or on the ground looking over a really long field. Probably wouldn't end up in the mountains until I'm able to go elk hunting.

I have always been a Remington fan but the last two I owned left a bad taste in my mouth. They were both newer models, one a Mil-spec Gen 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor and the other an American Wilderness Rifle in 7mm Rem Mag. They both let me down in the accuracy department with best groups in the 1.5 moa area. I have hand loaded for 25 years and could not get them to shoot so down the road they went. I would love to have that 90's model Sendero SF Gen1 in 300 Win Mag back though, that was a shooter for sure.

I have always been a Remington fan but the last two I owned left a bad taste in my mouth. They were both newer models, one a Mil-spec Gen 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor and the other an American Wilderness Rifle in 7mm Rem Mag. They both let me down in the accuracy department with best groups in the 1.5 moa area. I have hand loaded for 25 years and could not get them to shoot so down the road they went. I would love to have that 90's model Sendero SF Gen1 in 300 Win Mag back though, that was a shooter for sure.

.A fellow here on lrh had a old 700p 300 rum, upgraded trigger & muzzle brake for sale. I think he sold it for $1k. Said it would shoot bugholes with 215 Berger's and I 100% believed him cause I've saw it many times with the old 700p & old senderos

My son bought a Rem AWR 7 mag too. Shoots factory ammo like crap. It will shoot the 162 eld. But it has a rough chamber. Fired brass looks like crap.

My son bought a Rem AWR 7 mag too. Shoots factory ammo like crap. It will shoot the 162 eld. But it has a rough chamber. Fired brass looks like crap.
Try sending it back to them. I sent them two 700s back & they come back with new barred actions in good shape.

First bolt action I bought was an m70 270 win many moons ago. Would only place the cold bore shot on the target. So at least 6 moa groups. Sent it back to Winchester. Got it back. Put a first shot on the target @100yds. 2nd shot, still just one hole on the target, I thought to myself, they haven't done anything to this rifle. 3rd shot and the hole on the target got just a little bigger. It put all three in the same hole. It was the most accurate factory rifle I have had to this date. Sold it thinking that I could buy a 270wsm that would do the same thing if I spent twice the money on it. Lol. What a rude awakening I was in for.

The AWR is nothing more than Remingtons attempt to put lipstick on a pig.
First bolt action I bought was an m70 270 win many moons ago. Would only place the cold bore shot on the target. So at least 6 moa groups. Sent it back to Winchester. Got it back. Put a first shot on the target @100yds. 2nd shot, still just one hole on the target, I thought to myself, they haven't done anything to this rifle. 3rd shot and the hole on the target got just a little bigger. It put all three in the same hole. It was the most accurate factory rifle I have had to this date. Sold it thinking that I could buy a 270wsm that would do the same thing if I spent twice the money on it. Lol. What a rude awakening I was in for.
never sell a hummer lol

Bought a savage stainless steal axis with accutrigger for 296. At Wal-Mart . Ordered a boyds All in one stock with a fee extras for 260. Going to adjust the trigger and bed the action. Talley mounts have a old zeiss conquest to put on it . So I will have a nice set up for around 650

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.