New 7mag

Cooperw welcome to LRH.

My experience with Remington has been completely the opposite.

Remington 700's is all I own, the last one I bought about 3 years ago is an ADL in 7mm Rem Mag that I found for $300.00 and couldnt pass up the deal, and it shoots great. I'm getting half MOA groups with handloads with bullets ranging from 140gr to 168 gr. and the trigger I adjusted down to 2.4 lbs.

At this price you can get get a good scope and a stock and not break the bank.

I though for this price I'd just use the Action but it shoots very good so I'll shoot out the barrel and then rebarrel with a faster twist.
Alot of people think that this or that rifle is way better than a Remington 700. The Remington is the ultimate platform to eventually build a long range rifle. I know of many senderos that will shoot just as well as full blown custom rigs. I have one myself. 7mn rm. Swapped the trigger my self $150, bedded myself $20, and had m16 claw extractor put in by gunsmith $150. It will hang in there with my custom rifles.

Remington 700 is the most cloned action there is, some Winchester 70 clones, Savage has been limited cloned. I don't know of many others that's been cloned

Last edited:
Alot of people think that this or that rifle is way better than a Remington 700. The Remington is the ultimate platform to eventually build a long range rifle. I know if many senderos that will shoot just as well as full blown custom rigs. I have one myself. 7mn rm. Swapped the trigger my self $150, bedded myself $20, and had m16 claw extractor put in by gunsmith $150. It will hang in there with my custom rifles.

That is true.

I guess I've been lucky and haven't gotten a bad one and hope I never do Lol. I have never owned anything else than a Remington 700. My 7mm-08 for Silhouette shooting is a factory Varmint version and its crazy accurate, this one has a Timney trigger set at 3 oz. And the two 7mm-08 for hunting are the SPS Buckmasters versions with the original triggers set at 2.5 lbs. They have never failed me and all were easy to find Sub Half MOA loads for

Alot of people think that this or that rifle is way better than a Remington 700. The Remington is the ultimate platform to eventually build a long range rifle. I know of many senderos that will shoot just as well as full blown custom rigs. I have one myself. 7mn rm. Swapped the trigger my self $150, bedded myself $20, and had m16 claw extractor put in by gunsmith $150. It will hang in there with my custom rifles.
Why hasn't remington changed the twist rate on their senderos or long range models? Remington has no idea what people want or need, especially from the long range community. Their barrel twists are slow, the QC is weak, their triggers are awful, and their stocks are horrible unless you get one with an hs precision. There are so many better options out their than remington. Lots with accuracy guarantees.

Or buy a cheap savage 110 with the accutrigger and get a custom prefit barrel for it. The prefit barrels can he had for 350-500 for a good chambered barrel. You can go cheaper with shaw etc. you can prob get in for 7-800$ depending how cheap you get the savage and which barrel you go with. You can install it yourself or have it done. Cheap to get done since there is no machining.

I have a Remington 700 Long Range in 300 RUM that I installed a Timney trigger, bedded the recoil lug and had a gunsmith install a Vias brake(wish I had known better at the time) and the gun shoots great. 1 1/2" group at 300 off of my hunting bipod and my pack. Don't discount the remingtons. Paid 650 for the gun, cost me an additional 300 to get it where I wanted.
Sounds like a sweet shooting gun. Sucks you had to spend extra time and money to get it to where it is though. What bipod do you use for hunting

So what is the sweet spot for a twist rate in the 7RM. 1:9?? Also last night after work I was looking around the web and came across AA optics website. Had the refurb viper hst for 340 so I went ahead and bought it. Seemed like a good deal to me, and cant go wrong with the warranty they have. But unfortunately the winter storms that rolled through the country this week have me In west virginia for work and doesnt look like I'll get to go by buds or KGC to look at rifles. Also on my mind is looking for a good bipod and a muzzle break for when I am shooting alot at the range.

Why hasn't remington changed the twist rate on their senderos or long range models? Remington has no idea what people want or need, especially from the long range community. Their barrel twists are slow, the QC is weak, their triggers are awful, and their stocks are horrible unless you get one with an hs precision. There are so many better options out their than remington. Lots with accuracy guarantees.
I won't spend $800-$1000 any more on a factory rifle when I can pick up a used pawn shop 700, savage or Winchester 70 for $250 and barrel it how I want for around $1000-1500 total invested. There was a time when I did spend that much on a bone stock factory rifle and don't blame others for doing so. I do agree that Remington should go with 9 twist for their 7mm but the 9.25 will stabilize 160-168gr. I was able to stabilize a 180 in mine. They do offer 10 twist in 300 win mag & ultra mag to stabilize 215 Berger's and up to 225 elds. They offer 8 twist for 6.5 creedmoor. So they are not totally behind. But they could do some improving, I agree. They need to update their extractor on magnum sized cases. They have been poorly managed at times. CSNBC has tried to destroy them and I don't particularly want to partner up with CSNBC. I'm not claiming them to be top tier, but you can have a fine shooting 700 on a budget with some forethought. I don't blame anyone for going with an accuracy guarantee on a rifle but I know of cases where there were issues as well. As far as factory triggers, Remington is among the worst, but I didn't care for the xbolt or Tikka T3 trigger either but they were better that the xmark. I've spent as little as $250 on a Savage axis 6.5 cm that will shoot .75 moa with $16 a box ammo & .5 moa handloads. People should buy what they want be it Remington, Browning, Savage ,christesen, Winchester etc.. but in the long run, the owner is going to have to know what needs to be done with it to make the shots at long distances

Or buy a cheap savage 110 with the accutrigger and get a custom prefit barrel for it. The prefit barrels can he had for 350-500 for a good chambered barrel. You can go cheaper with shaw etc. you can prob get in for 7-800$ depending how cheap you get the savage and which barrel you go with. You can install it yourself or have it done. Cheap to get done since there is no machining.
Pawn shop or gunbroker Savage with accutrigger for aprx. $300, criterion or shilen from Northland shooters supply aprx $350. $12 Savage accutrigger varmint spring 1.5lbs, used hs stock $225-275. Buy wrenches & gages & figure out how to put it on yourself or pay gunsmith less than $100 to put it on.

So what is the sweet spot for a twist rate in the 7RM. 1:9?? Also last night after work I was looking around the web and came across AA optics website. Had the refurb viper hst for 340 so I went ahead and bought it. Seemed like a good deal to me, and cant go wrong with the warranty they have. But unfortunately the winter storms that rolled through the country this week have me In west virginia for work and doesnt look like I'll get to go by buds or KGC to look at rifles. Also on my mind is looking for a good bipod and a muzzle break for when I am shooting alot at the range.

1:8. there is no reason to go slower.

also, I love the hs-t. I have a few of them and they are a killer deal for the money.

The thing is, 1/2 moa everyday group after group throughout the life of a barrel, it's going to take some experience, if you stay into it, you will want more. You will learn to be a troubleshooter & tuner. Starting out with a factory rifle & factory ammo is fine cause you've got to start out somewhere, but alot of people find out they want to make upgrades with after market components. So whatever rifle you go with keep in mind you may want to upgrade components also and will want something that has a wide range of after market support.

This is my .02 - if there is a chance you will be hunting in the mountains out west, I would go with something lightweight. Heavy barrel guns are great for lugging around flat country, but add some elevation and they suck.
Lugging around a a heavy rifle is a matter of conditioning. I train all year for hunting season so that I don't have to skimp on the gear I choose and I'm ready to haul meat out.
That looks like a good deal. I've heard good things about the swfa fixed power ss. Haven't read anything on the variable
I have several variable powered SWFA SS scopes. I have never had a problem with them in any way. They're extremely durable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.