New 7mag

Cooperw

I finally joined after just reading for so many years since I will be starting to hunt further distances in the next year or so. I have a browning x bolt in 308 that I've been hunting/learning with the last few 4 or 5 years but now I'd like to move up to a larger cartridge for longer shots. I hunt whitetail here in ky but will hopefully begin traveling with friends to hunt different areas and different animals.After alot of research I believe a 7mm rem mag will be perfect for me. Been trying to feel different rifles at the cabelas and read up on anything I can in my price range sub (800$). The bergara hunter/ridge rifles look like a nice product. I've heard great things about the howas but it doesnt seem like anyone has them in stock. I'd like to hear if some of you have any experience with those rifles or if you have a different suggestion. Would like to stay away from the thin pencil barrels like my x bolt has and the cheap feeling flimsy stocks like some of the rugers, savages, mossberg, etc. But I do want a polymer stock since I've dinged up my wooden stock on the x bolt to much to feel comfortable buying another.
So any help or comments are appreciated. Glad to be a member finally. TIA

Are you planning on reloading at some point? Yes, I would get a heavy barrel, something like a sendero, or a Savage heavy barrel, Ive heard really good things about the bergaras.The remington 700 is going to give you the longest factory magazine box of 3.7". That will be important if you plan on reloading cause you will want to seat long heavy bullets out long in the case. 7mm rm with 160 to 168 gr bullets will usually shoot good in most factory 9.5 or 9.25 twist. Federal 165 sierra factory ammo done well for me. Out of 3-4 different brands in that weight range, you will probably find one that stands out.

It looks like the bergara ridge has a heavy barrel and a 1:9.5 twist, as does the howa but I'm not sure howa offers 7RM in a heavy barrel. I would be ringing steel and shooting this rifle a fair amount to get used to it. I'm sure the heavier the barrel the better, and also better on my shoulder.

E.R. Shaw will have 25% off sale BF on in stock rifles. And Seekings 10% off, or if you get luck to find 25%o off cert.

I've heard good things about the bergara ridge as well. 9.5 twist is not as desirable as 9.25 twist of the sendero but it should still shoot 162- 165 gr bullets good and 9 twist would be even better but you are probably not going to find as many 9 twist factory barrels. I think christesen arms has standardized 9 twist in their 7mm rm rifles.

Hsm loads the 165 sierra in a factory round also. Sierra has it's own line of ammo also loaded with a 155 game changer. I would find a box of cheap ammo to sight in with & let the barrel settle down from being brand new.

Which ever 7mm rem mag you go with, once you get some rounds down the barrel, I would definitely try the 165 Sierra's In federal factory ammo or hsm factory ammo. I would probably try both.

Federal also loads the 168 Berger hybrid which would be worth a try. But I would be surprised if those 165 Sierra's didn't shoot good.

That hunter series rifle has a 1:9 twist. Slightly smaller barrel, #3 I believe. I figured the high twist ratios would stabilize bigger bullets better. I have never heard of a sendero rifle. I will check them out

The Remington 700 long range checks your boxes. However, I think buying a Remington is a risk even though I own one. I had to send mine back for a bur in the chamber. Other than that though the rifle shoots fantastic. Sub .5 moa rifle with my handloads. I'd just proceed with caution on Remington. Make sure you check everything over really good. Another thing to mention is Remington triggers are garbage. They shouldnt even be allowed to be called a trigger. Mine wont go under 5lbs.

That hunter series rifle has a 1:9 twist. Slightly smaller barrel, #3 I believe. I figured the high twist ratios would stabilize bigger bullets better. I have never heard of a sendero rifle. I will check them out
The sendero is a Remington 700 heavy barrel, .820 diameter muzzle. Remington also makes a long range hunter in 7mm rm that is really close to the sendero but more affordable. A member here : creedmoor shooter has one. He's is shooting great with his 700 long range hunter 7mm rm.

The Remington 700 long range checks your boxes. However, I think buying a Remington is a risk even though I own one. I had to send mine back for a bur in the chamber. Other than that though the rifle shoots fantastic. Sub .5 moa rifle with my handloads. I'd just proceed with caution on Remington. Make sure you check everything over really good. Another thing to mention is Remington triggers are garbage. They shouldnt even be allowed to be called a trigger. Mine wont go under 5lbs.
We must have posted about the same time. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.