Steyr 7mag

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Looking for your opinions on the Steyr rifles. Looking at a Pro Hunter stainless in 7mag for a young shooter. Is the rifle a guality weapon? Can 7mag be loaded down for a young shooter? Or loaded with a light enough bullet to reduce recoil.

Thank you, steve

Steyr Prohunter

Hi Steve
It looks as though no one else has a Steyr so here goes. I have two Prohunters one standard 24" in .243 and the heavy barrel 26" version in .308. Are they quality rifles - in my opinion yes......... let me qualify that.

Both of mine are off the shelf with no modifications other than the Steyr two stage trigger I fitted to the .308 (originally it had the standard single set) I reload for both of them and the .243 is a consistent 0.5" rifle using 100g Sierras and the .308 using 155g Amax is a 0.25" rifle. I have good glass on them, Schmidt & Bender scopes which helps me but that does not affect the group size.

I shoot with a group of friends on an informal basis out to 600 yards; several of them have custom rifles costing three times what I paid for mine and they don't perform any better.

The Steyr is a modern looking rifle which may not appeal to everyone but if you are looking for off the shelf accuracy look no further.
Good Luck
SF

Thanks Subsonic,

I had given up on an answer, Styre must not be a very well known manufacture. I had asked about it because I can get one through a friend for less than half what they normally retail for.

You confirmed what I have heard, that they shoot very well off the shelf.

I'll have to see if the funds will come together before they are all gone.

Thanks again, Steve

Steve
If you do decide on a Prohunter make sure you go for the latest version which has a black stock, the earlier models had a grey stock. Around three years ago they upgraded the stocks due to flexibility in the forend. The new stocks are fibreglass reinforced and very good.

The most famous Steyr rifle is the SSG, this was the sniper rifle of choice in the West for many years and has a fantastic reputation. They now look a little dated and cost approx 25% more than the Prohunter but this is a definite shooter. I believe they are guaranteed sub 0.5" but most shoot 0.25".

SF

STEYR SSG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.