New 280 Ackley build

Springville shooter

Just got my new 280 AI and started the process of load development. The rifle is built on an old style model 700 action with a Shilen SS 25"#4 barrel and a Bob Hart Accublok stock. I read all the horror stories about the discrepancies regarding the "new" SAMMI chambering vs the historic Ackley version of the cartridge so I took some of the new Nosler brass to my gunsmith and asked him to check it in my chamber as the reamer used was an old style Ackley. My smith told me that the brass fit perfectly and that the dimensions were identical to the old version Ackley chamber. I think that the discrepancies lie in a measurement point on the case. Anyhow, I am 25 rounds into the gun and it is shooting light loads with 162 A-Max bullets into a ragged hole. I love the feel of the rifle and look forward to many more enjoyable range sessions. The Nosler brass is working flawlessly and it still feels weird to be shooting an Ackley without the chore of making cases.

Just for kicks I dialed up the scope and shot a surprisingly nice group on my 12" plate at 500 yards.---------SS

Attachments

• 280AI1.jpg
    280AI1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 280AI500.jpg
    280AI500.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.