New 280 AI Build

As Mudrunner mentioned 7828SSC performed great in my 280 AI the first time out. It has been my go to as well in my 300 wsm with 230gr Bergers.
Thank you!! I'm excited to try it! I stumbled onto a load with my 300WSM a couple of years ago. 180 gr ttsx with 63 gr IMR 4350, .5" group at 100 and 6 FPS extreme spread. Lines up exactly with my rapid z 800 reticle. This before I got the long range bug. Just getting started with some of the Bergers. 230 gr sounds pretty long for the 300 WSM. No issues there?

Thank you!! I'm excited to try it! I stumbled onto a load with my 300WSM a couple of years ago. 180 gr ttsx with 63 gr IMR 4350, .5" group at 100 and 6 FPS extreme spread. Lines up exactly with my rapid z 800 reticle. This before I got the long range bug. Just getting started with some of the Bergers. 230 gr sounds pretty long for the 300 WSM. No issues there?

That sounds like a good load with the 4350 you found for your 300 wsm. In mine the 230 Bergers work well as I have it built on a long action so that I can seat the bullets out much further than normal. Here is a link to that build thread:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/300-wsm-long-action-build-input-welcomed.167249/

I just came across this post. . .I'm a 280AI fan as well! I was on the RL26 band wagon for a bit myself. . .very impressed with the velocities it produced without showing excessive presser. I did get velocity swings and POI changes coming from Florida to mid west/north western states and I then switched over to RL23, that cured my problem. I use it in my 6.5 Swede's, .284 Win based cartridges and '06 based cartridges with very good performance across the board. I tried the 4831SC and never achieved the velocity I though my rig should get, but it was accurate. My current pet load for my 280AI is;

Norma brass @ 2.515"
Berger 168gr. CH
Alliant RL23 @ 59gr.
Federal 215M primer
COAL on ogive is 2.800"
Average velocity is 2978 fps with SD/ES in low teens to single digits
26" 1/9tw Krieger barrel

Thanks for the post. . .I love reading 280AI stuff! Happy Thanksgiving to all and everyone please be safe.

Steel I had the same results with RL26 with the 162's could not get rid of a little bit of a flier until I switched to RL23 in 280AI. I think the RL26 is suited better for the heavier bullets.

That sounds like a good load with the 4350 you found for your 300 wsm. In mine the 230 Bergers work well as I have it built on a long action so that I can seat the bullets out much further than normal. Here is a link to that build thread:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/300-wsm-long-action-build-input-welcomed.167249/
I've been surprised that the 300 WSM hasn't continued to do better. My accuracy load in it with a 24" barrel and my 300 win mag with a 26" tube are exactly the same with the 180 gr TTSX AT 3050 FPS. And it is slightly more accurate.

I've been surprised that the 300 WSM hasn't continued to do better. My accuracy load in it with a 24" barrel and my 300 win mag with a 26" tube are exactly the same with the 180 gr TTSX AT 3050 FPS. And it is slightly more accurate.

Sammydog, I think it may be the limited availability of commercial ammo that may hold the 300 wsm back a bit in terms of popularity. 300 win mag ammo can be found at most any Walmart, 300 wsm is a little more difficult to come by in a pinch.

Sammydog, I think it may be the limited availability of commercial ammo that may hold the 300 wsm back a bit in terms of popularity. 300 win mag ammo can be found at most any Walmart, 300 wsm is a little more difficult to come by in a pinch.
I think you're exactly right. I saw the first bag of Winchester brass for it in three or four years the other day! I hope things are starting to lighten up and brass become easier to find. I sure like my 300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.