New 270 boondoggle wildcat testing

Considering your initial post claimed it could be the "next ex-thing" you could see how one can mistake your remarks as being something other than complimentary. My apologies if sarcasm and subtlety doesn't carry well over plain black text.

Considering your initial post claimed it could be the "next ex-thing" you could see how one can mistake your remarks as being something other than complimentary. My apologies if sarcasm and subtlety doesn't carry well over plain black text.

Texting can lead to misrepresentations due to the lack of affect, sometimes hard to judge. You have to know "Mud" he likes to steer it up!! Don't know if you caught the bantering of "Ole school " and 6.5 Creed between us, it's just friendly bantering. He loves to throw out the 6.5 Creed I'm wherever he can, that usually will mean 7-10 pages of responses. He knows I'm ole school when it comes to cartridges, he'll throw that one out too!

Actually, I haven't said anything negative about the 6.5CM in a while... Lately, it's been other people stirring it up, and I stay out of it. It is entertaining to read, though... I will give you that. :D
I just blamed the unavailability of RL26 on "THEM"... sue me too.

Otherwise, love the new cartridge, tagging in.

Yes, but they were still fails, regardless of who designed them. Hornady has never had any cartridges until recently. The 6.5CM (2007) was the first one they got behind exclusively, and now with the PRC line, they are entering the cartridge designing game. Personally, once the hype starts to die with the 6.5 PRC, I see it going the way of the Dodo bird, too, other than small niche groups of shooters.

Rich's 6.5 SS beats the PRC in every single way, unfortunately no major manufacturer has gotten behind him to start chambering rifles in it. If they did, it would destroy the PRC's sales. Everyone wants to chase horsepower, and the SS is 100-150 FPS faster.

As much time, work, effort, and money as Rich has put into his wildcats, I would love to see them hit the mainstream. It would change the game for factory rifles with real world functional cartridge design upgrades over the standard same-ole, same-ole everybody has been using for 100 years. Old school still works, but improved design works better, IMO.

Not to nit pick, but the 480 Ruger came out in 2003 and was a Hornady backed chambering that's doing very well in the handgun hunting community. Also, the 6.5 SS beats the PRC in every way, except for factory ammo, mass market support, affordable and readily available brass and dies, pressure tested load data and production guns. Other than that, the 6.5 SS wins every time.

I'll also point out that the Sherman line of wildcats stand on their own merit without the help of a supporter who, if I'm not mistaken, has yet to actually financially support the development of the Sherman line of wildcats by purchasing brass, dies or a reamer for any of them. At least I have a set of his 300 PRC S.I. dies on preorder and will rent or buy a reamer when the time comes.

To the op; that looks like a heckuva fun round. Think you could hit 3800 with light monos?

I'm starting to think that 3800 is very possible. I have a handfull of 117gr Hammer Hunters left over from my 270 AR project a while back, so I'm going to see how fast I can get those moving. These are the bullets I have on hand:
ufTBSWe.jpg

117 Hammer Hunter, 140 BT, 140 Sierra TGK, 145 ELDx, 168gr Hammer Hunter

Looks good. Almost a 270 Allen Magnum (300RUM parent case).
I had a 270/300 RUM for a while and I still have the reamer. So far I'm able to get the same performance but with different powders. This was a couple years ago before there were many 170gr and heavier bullets available though. The Berger 170 wasn't out yet, Wildcat was gone, I don't think Chinchaga was making bullets yet and Matrix bullets were tough to get. The full length RUM case was really too much case capacity for most of bullets available.

Do have any 170gr EOL ?

Not yet. I need to order some of the 170 EOL, the Matrix heavy weights and some of the Chinchaga bullets to play with. I'll get some of the 156gr Hammer Hunters to play with too.

@yorke-1 Don't forget 17 HMR. That Hammer Hunter looks like a freaking drill bit lol! I'd love to screw on a fast twist someday and launch some of those.

The 168 Hammer was actually the reason I started this project. I saw the bullet and decided that I needed a case to shoot it out of. Sure a 270 WSM with a 1-7" twist barrel would have done fine, but heavy bullet deserves a heavy powder charge!

Now I'd like to see what it'll do with the 85 grain tsx :D

Barnes data says I should be able to squeak about 4000 out of the WSM. C'mon, let's make those Barnes vaporize in air! :p

Now I'd like to see what it'll do with the 85 grain tsx :D

Barnes data says I should be able to squeak about 4000 out of the WSM. C'mon, let's make those Barnes vaporize in air! :p

Barnes does make the 85gr frangible bullet and I doubt hitting 4000 fps would be an issue. I think that would make a pretty impressive coyote load!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.