New 264 Win Mag

Exterminate1

Just picked up my rifle with a new 264 win Mag barrel installed with a 1in8 twist. Looking for loads with modern powders. Most of the loads that I see in manuals are on the slow side. It seems like I should be able to get a 140 grain bullet to about 3200 ft./s. Any input would be great. Thanks

Just picked up my rifle with a new 264 win Mag barrel installed with a 1in8 twist. Looking for loads with modern powders. Most of the loads that I see in manuals are on the slow side. It seems like I should be able to get a 140 grain bullet to about 3200 ft./s. Any input would be great. Thanks
You need to decide on what bullet to use and what powder you actually have. Also, the test barrel on the reloading manual might be shorter, i.e., Hornady 9th edition is 24", so if you have 26"+ You will yield a faster velocity.

Last edited:
Our buy some

Attachments

• 20221113_150926.jpg
    20221113_150926.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
You need to decide on what bullet to use and what powder you actually have. Also, the test barrel on the reloading manual might be shorter, i.e., Hornady 9th edition is 24", so if you have 26"+ You will yield a faster velocity.
It is a 26. I have a couple of slow powders to choose from. H1000 RL26 4831 and a few Moore. I have burger 140s but looking for something a little heavier if they will stabilize.

I have a custom with a 1-8 Bart 26", It loves 156eols with Retumbo and IMR8133. I was getting 3200-3250 before I decided to load down to 2950 with IMR-8133 and single digit ES. I started to see the barrel cracking pretty hard at less than 400 rounds is what led me to loading down.
2950 with that high of a BC would good.

First thing that comes to mind is that published data for the .264 Win Mag is garbage. My advice is to treat it like a wildcat cartridge. Start by doing your own pressure workup to establish max in your rifle with your chosen components, then do your normal load workup.

To give you the most possible useful barrel life, pick two bullets and two powders to work with. Once you have two good loads with two different bullets, stick with them through the life of the barrel.

The two powders I would recommend starting with are Retumbo and VV N570. Some may also recommend RL-33. My experience with RL-33 has been less than stellar. Retumbo worked the best for me. I have yet to try VV N570, since I have enough Retumbo to last the life of my current barrel.

With an 8 twist, you have a lot of good bullets to choose from. In cup and core type bullets, you can run any bullet you like between 140 grains and 160 grains and take full advantage of available performance.

There are an increasing number of good mono metal bullets becoming available, too, if you are interested in going that direction.

Berger list a max load of 68.5 grains of Retumbo with their 140 vld's. I have Been up to 70 grains of Retumbo in my rifle for a velocity of 3350. I have since backed it down to 68.5 grains which gives me 3270fps and consistent 1/2MOA or better accuracy. My rifle wears a 1-8 twist Brux finished at 27inches.

It is a 26. I have a couple of slow powders to choose from. H1000 RL26 4831 and a few Moore. I have burger 140s but looking for something a little heavier if they will stabilize.
Howdy, congratulations, 264wm is a great caliber. You will be fine with H1000 and Rl-26. H1000 will probably be more accurate, RL-26 will give you more fps. For braking it in I would use what I have the most of. Or try both, then you will know what to use. Happy shooting. 👍😎

Did you have it chambered with a SAAMI spec 264WIN reamer, or did you add some free bore? The data changes appreciably if you are able to seat the bullets out of the case further. Cases will have much better life if you are headspacing off the shoulder rather than off the belt. With the 140g and heavier cup and core bullets I wouldn't waste your time with any powder faster than H4831. As previously mentioned, the best results will be found around the burn rate of Retumbo.

To the OP, how much freebore do you have and also what brass are you using, or plan to use?
Not sure on the free bore but I believe it would be a factory spec. I have 200 rounds of new Winchester brass 100 rounds of once fired Remington and I have about 200 rounds of Nosler loaded 130 grain Accubonds.