Never was a Remington man

69firebird

Im left eye dominant so I buy LH bolt guns. I always stayed away from Remingtons (anything, rifles, shotguns). All my cheap friends had cheap remingtons, plus all the trigger issues/recals etc.

I love my Weatherbys!

Well I come across a LH Rem 700 SPS (cheap sh!t) brand new from a friend that needed it gone and i got it for just over half retail price. I stuck it in the safe and left it for a couple years thinking Id re sell it or have a loaner/beater.

Fast forward 3 months ago and my wife and I are going elk hunting in the fall and she needed a larger calibre rifle so I get the 700 out, sure enough its got a trigger recall so I contacted remington and still haven't heard anything! So I got a timney. I took about a ten minute look at the plastic garbage stock and order a B&C with aluminium bedding block. Pulled a Conquest Hd5 off another rifle and sighted it in with some old factory rounds.

Yesterday i pulled out some handholds for another rifle from a couple years back that i was using on moose. 200gr Accubonds loaded with H4831 doing about 2750mzle v.

Holy cow could the 700 group them all touching at 100 so I used the Zeiss ballistic App and started shooting the steel gong at 300 yards with the bullets hitting about 3" apart. Seated on the ground off quick sticks.

So I have to take back some bad things I said about Remington in the past.

BUT I did change the stock and trigger (over $500 CAD in upgrades). Haven't heard back about their trigger recall and I still don't like how high the bolt throw comes up, I jam my hand on the scope.

So this rifle impresses me, would I buy another 700- NO, Only if its a steal LOL

Nice review, firebird, welcome to the Remington Society. I cut my teeth, so to speak, on Remington rifles and experienced the disappointment from what I believe was a gradual decline in quality over the years. I compensated for that with replacing stocks and triggers, bedding where necessary, and truing bolt faces. Can' help but notice that the Remington action is perhaps the most copied (and improved on). I like Tikka and Savage but Remington is an old friend that I couldn't abandon if I wanted to.
P.S. I have a bag full of Remington triggers I'd make you one heck of a deal on.
Regarding the trigger recall: they'll want you to send them the complete rifle and getting it back will be a nightmare. Toss the one you removed and enjoy the Timney.

bird, Remington isn't the only manufacturer putting "garbage plastic stocks" on rifles. Most factory triggers could easily be improved with an aftermarket. All factory stocks could benefit from a stress free bedding. To single out the Remington isn't quite fair considering practically all manufacturers produce like models. I have numerous friends with very accurate Remingtons. However, were you to have a Remington 770, I'd have to agree. Never saw a more poorly made rifle.

Yes I don't disagree, lots of manufacturers make cheap entry level rifles garbage guns. I'm just glad I didn't pay full price. And I'm not a hater just thought I'd admit I was jaded towards Remington before and this guns made me smile :)

My young son has an Xbolt hunter .308 I bought it for around $800 and it is a fine rifle for the price and shoots surprisingly great bone stock.

I think I'll stick to the weatherbys in the future

I've got 14 rifles sitting here: 8 Savages, 3 Sakos, 1 Montana Rifles custom, 1 CZ, 1 Weatherby. The triggers on all of them are the originals and are good triggers. I've stuck a custom barrel on several of them and maybe a $100 stock with some bedding. On average they shoot around 0.5 MOA - some a little better and some a little worse. I wouldn't own a Remington 700 since they are notorious for not just bad but unsafe triggers that they refused to redesign for years and after the redesign they still only provide a 2 position trigger.

I do however own a Rem 870 12 gage which has been flawless for 44 years and a bazillion rounds so they are not completely worthless.

I've got 14 rifles sitting here: 8 Savages, 3 Sakos, 1 Montana Rifles custom, 1 CZ, 1 Weatherby. The triggers on all of them are the originals and are good triggers. I've stuck a custom barrel on several of them and maybe a $100 stock with some bedding. On average they shoot around 0.5 MOA - some a little better and some a little worse. I wouldn't own a Remington 700 since they are notorious for not just bad but unsafe triggers that they refused to redesign for years and after the redesign they still only provide a 2 position trigger.

I do however own a Rem 870 12 gage which has been flawless for 44 years and a bazillion rounds so they are not completely worthless.

You do realize that most of this was from negligence on the owner's part, or them tinkering with something they should never have been in the first place, or had some backwoods sling blade moron do a "trigger job" on the rifle. It was only after IMMENSE pressure from the left, that Mike Walker said there was a problem with the trigger. Granted, it could have been an improved design for around $0.05 per unit, but to say it would solve the entire problem is a bit outrageous. But the left loves to tout that one-sided bullcrap interview they heavily edited to push their agenda.

A wise old man once said, "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see..."

... But the left loves to tout that one-sided bullcrap interview they heavily edited to push their agenda.

A wise old man once said, "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see..."

Have to agree with you there MudRunner. I've always change out my Remington triggers. Not because I didn't trust 'em (I never had any kind of problem with 'em and they always break crisp and clean) but I typically look for something like a 2# pull and the factory triggers on the rifles I bought were always way over that. I wasn't about to have some "expert" do a trigger job so I purchase after markets (Timney, Jewell) to get what I need.

You do realize that most of this was from negligence on the owner's part, or them tinkering with something they should never have been in the first place, or had some backwoods sling blade moron do a "trigger job" on the rifle. It was only after IMMENSE pressure from the left, that Mike Walker said there was a problem with the trigger. Granted, it could have been an improved design for around $0.05 per unit, but to say it would solve the entire problem is a bit outrageous. But the left loves to tout that one-sided bullcrap interview they heavily edited to push their agenda.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the rifle that was used to prove this was never tuned or modified and it was kept normal clean, it's a 243 ADL and it would consistently drop the firing pin and was an unsafe gun and the guys who pushed it had nothing to do with the "left" in fact they would be offended at the inference.

Took three barrels and new stock to get my Remington to shoot. One Remington replaced and finally the one my gunsmith put on shot.

Sounds like I got a good barrel then. Everybody has lemons, I just try to stay away from the companies with the most lol

Hows the Montana rifles I was looking at one the other day theres a dealer here in Canada thats nice to work with. Ill have to order in a LH but it sounds like no problem

I have re barreled and/or repaired almost every action/rifle brand and can tell you that all of them could use better triggers on their cheaper grade of rifles. Most of the rifle companies have better triggers that they place on their premium grade rifles.

Remington is no exception, they have a wonderful trigger on their 40x rifles that is fully adjustable
and is as good as there is on factory rifles.

Weatherby has the best track record for good triggers that I have worked on and I have only replaced a few out of many.

Lawyers require most of the gun makers to limit the adjustments, because of people tampering with them and making them unsafe. There will always be a few "Bad" triggers produced by any manufactures that will get through. But now that some of the rifle makers are using a trace element that can prove that the trigger has been tampered with, at least if a trigger is bad it will be easy to prove.

As far as the 700 Remington actions, they respond to accurizing better and more consistent than any other action I have worked on or built.

All rifles do better with a good stock and trigger no matter what brand they are. But some, due to their design just don't do as well consistently. The Tupperware stocks are just a handle and are worthless as far as I am concerned and should be replaced if accuracy is one of the things you expect from the rifle.

The Mod 770 Remington is the one exception as far as I am concerned and should be avoided because If it doesn't shoot you are stuck with it. Other manufactures produce dogs as well and if you buy one you are stuck with poor accuracy. I consider anything over 1 1/2 MOA unacceptable
for anything.

I have many different brands of rifles and the rifles with Remington actions will all shoot well below 1/4 MOA. Three of my hunting rifles will consistently shoot below 1/10th MOA. The Mark 5 Weatherbys are the next best shooting rifles that consistently shoot 1/10th MOA. I have the best luck with the savages when I do away with the barrel nut and go to a larger barrel tenon and lug arrangement.

All of my rifles have been accurized and in most cases, been re barreled to get this level of accuracy. Note; I have only owned 2 unmodified factory rifles that would shoot 1/10 MOA and they were both Remington 700s.

I am not so much a Remington fan as I am a accuracy fan, so I like any accurate rifle. I also like many features other rifles have.

just my opinion. And as one of the members says "Only Accurate rifles are interesting"

J E CUSTOM

Sounds like I got a good barrel then. Everybody has lemons, I just try to stay away from the companies with the most lol

Hows the Montana rifles I was looking at one the other day theres a dealer here in Canada thats nice to work with. Ill have to order in a LH but it sounds like no problem

bird, helped a friend with loads for his new 300RUM LH Montana. It shoots the 215 Berger ar 1/3 MOA and only has <25 rounds through it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.