Never to be repeated

Varmint Hunter

With the shortage of components, I decided to test out a few bullets that were readily available. I bought some Hornady 162 ELD-M bullets (not ELD-X as the target reads) for my 7WSM and some 230 ELD-M bullets for my 338RUM.

Just randomly testing loads, I shot a 1.55" 3-shot group @ 417 yds last week. I loaded up a few more and got to the club yesterday. I really didn't expect the 1.55" group to be repeated, however, I gave it my best. The target below is what I collected at the end of my session. Next week I'll be shooting at that golf ball. LOL

7WSM-162 ELD-X.jpg

Heck of a good job!

Hornady in general gets a bad rap, but somehow all their bullets and brass keep working well enough for me to keep buying it.

I'm looking forward to running the 212 in my 300 PRC. I have had an ELD-X go nuclear hitting bone, still was a DRT (hit the spine in the neck, almost took the head off - long story told here before in the "ELD Sucks" thread somewhere).

Very impressive varmint hunter, maybe someday I'll shoot a target at that distance repeatedly and get those same results, it will make everything I've done for the last 40 some years reloading and learning fully worth while. To add to what quiet Texan said about Hornady, I fully agree, since the pandemic, they are the only ones in my opinion who kept stocking our shelves with bullets and brass, I haven't bought anything from them including brass that I couldn't work through. Keep up the good shooting and load development.

With the shortage of components, I decided to test out a few bullets that were readily available. I bought some Hornady 162 ELD-M bullets (not ELD-X as the target reads) for my 7WSM and some 230 ELD-M bullets for my 338RUM.

Just randomly testing loads, I shot a 1.55" 3-shot group @ 417 yds last week. I loaded up a few more and got to the club yesterday. I really didn't expect the 1.55" group to be repeated, however, I gave it my best. The target below is what I collected at the end of my session. Next week I'll be shooting at that golf ball. LOL

View attachment 457515

What is the barrel twist?

That's great shooting! It's funny to me because my 7RM also likes 69.6g H1000, and the 162ELD-X. SD 3.5, ES 7 traveling at 2942 fps avg, out of a 20" barrel. How long is your WSM barrel?

25" Bartlein - interesting to note that the SD was 27. That seems unlikely but it came up on the LabRadar. The barrel does not have a brake to cause erroneous errors on the unit.

Heck of a good job!

Hornady in general gets a bad rap, but somehow all their bullets and brass keep working well enough for me to keep buying it.

I'm looking forward to running the 212 in my 300 PRC. I have had an ELD-X go nuclear hitting bone, still was a DRT (hit the spine in the neck, almost took the head off - long story told here before in the "ELD Sucks" thread somewhere).

I tried the 230 ELD-M in my 338RUM but noting shot well. Even logged a group that went well over 6". However, a single 3-shot group came in at exactly 2.00" @ the 400yd line, which is actually 417yds at our club.