Never seen a primer do this before.....

Federal also makes a GM205M AR primer. SRP Match for AR platforms, which are harder. You could try those as well.

Also, there are two sizes of firing pins. .075" large, and .062" small, which is specifically made for SRP cartridges. By the looks of it, you have the large firing pin.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the input. That's the thing I love about this group, everyone is willing help each other out.

Spin the empty case around and see if you can see light through the primer. Probably pierced. High pressure. A sign from above to back off and find the node below that powder charge. I have a 6.5 Creed that I pierced primers on using H 4350, Fed 205's, running just around or just a tiny bit above book max. Backed off and no more pierced primers. It wasn't a primer problem. It was a "guy dumping powder into the case" problem.

I saw that with some factory loads one time when the guy had lube in the chamber so that it appeared to cause an over pressure condition cleaned the chamber and it stopped more isn't always better with lube . Also make sure that you don't have extra case lube left on the case after reloading .

As deep as the fireing pin indents are on all of the cases, I would measure the firing pin protrusion before I changed anything with my load to see if it's a bit on the long side. Call Ruger to see what the spec is.

I had this happen to me a few years back on a AI. Turns out the firing pin hole was too large and the round was higher pressure so the center of the primer was blowing back into the bolt body. I changed primers and didn't help. My load was not too hot. I had to have the bolt face bushed and firing pin turned down. That's the only thing that solved it for me.

View attachment 147806 View attachment 147807 View attachment 147808 I was shooting some some loads today to try my new Lapua brass and I had two primers come out of the rifle looking like this. A guy at the range tried to tell me I had really old primers, like over twenty years old. They are Federal Small Rifle GMM, I have had them less then a year. Has any one seen this before and know what causes this? I have been shooting most of my life and reloading for a large part of it, I have never seen this before. The primer pockets where very tight when loading them, not sure if that's a factor.
uaually perforated primers are a sign of pressure but your other cases aren't indicating any pressure so I might have my gun smith check out your firing pin and spring !

Check your headspace of your reloads. If you size your brass to short this can happen. Also check your firing pin protrusion. A weak firing pin spring will do this. When I get my benchrest guys getting this I replace to a new spring and it goes away the weak spring let's the firing pin gets pushed back into the bolt and the primer metal blows through the hole. Shep

Check the bolt face for etching, if it's bad you may want to have the bushing job done.

A too large or a sloppy firing pin hole will *usually* result in cratered primers, even at lower pressure loadings (you are reloading, so voodoo sometimes creeps into the mix and causes strange things to happen that defy logic). Yours are pierced primers, where the center of the primer actually has a small hole in it, which allows gas to exit. This will blacken the primer, the bolt face and possibly carbon up the interior of your bolt.

There are generally 2 causes. One, the firing pin extends too far, is too sharp and causes the cup of the primer to be thin enough at the strike to allow pressure to flow backwards, or the firing pin spring is too heavy, pushing the FP into the primer until it ruptures.
The second cause is simply too much pressure in the case. In the three rows of cases in the picture, the bottom row looks fine, the next row has slight craters and the last row has piereced primers. Working up loads, I assume? If the rounds with the piereced primers are not very close to max then I would try a different brand of primers first thing. This is likely going to cure the problem. I had the same thing happen when loading for my .22 CHeetah, Federal primers would pierce with med - hi loads. I changed to WW or CCI and had no more problems.

If you still get piereced primers after switching primer brands (and not exceeding max loads), then it's time to see your gunsmith.
Cheers,
crkckr

Had the same thing happen with my 6CM barreled RPR.

The loads were getting up there but like yours had no obvious visible signs of pressure

The small primers prefer a small firing pin with a nice fit in the bolt face over a big firing pin big with a sloppy fit as is pretty much standard on factory rifles, the big primers don't mind as much.

As previously mentioned CCI 450 primers will help as will taking some powder out or bushing the firing pin.

FWIW we run much more pressure in the 6PPC benchrest rifles with no problem, but they are custom actions designed for the purpose

The .059 firing pins don't usually have a problem. On Remington you can buy an oversize pin and make a tight fit. But bushing it to the smaller pin is the best way. I even run the small pin on my magnums. All my custom actions have the small pin. Magnums included. Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.