Every seen a .358-243 cartridge before?

ltrmc02

A co-worker of mine designed a new cartridge over the Thanksgiving weekend that I'll call the .358-243 NO NECK. This is formed by firing a .243 Winchester cartridge out of a .270 Winchester chamber. Of course this was not intentional, it was the event of carrying two different cartridges in a coat pocket. His son was shooting a .243 and him a .270

It's certainly a good thing his son didn't own a .308, that would have been very ugly if it would have chambered up in a .270

Just posting as an interesting and friendly safety reminder.

P.S. The accuracy was reported as being very poor and I would bet velocity numbers were a bit low of desirable.

P1130025.jpg

P1130033.jpg

I'm changing the name of this new wild cat as I measured it's NO NECK diameter after posting, it'll be the .338-243 NO NECK. I'll probably do like Remington did with the .280 and change it's name three times to keep the confusion going and popularity down. 7mm-06, 7mm Express, .280 Remington.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

I've seen several kinds of wrong chambering fired in rifle.

A common one at our range is 223 in 7.62x39. No real issues, just really hard on the gun and scares people.

The bad one, and we've had a couple is the reverse. When it goes bang is, not good.

Well, it's an exciting method if fire forming.

The 243. Win. Would give a person a scare.
As a Wild Life Officer 34 1/2 years and a Hunter Education Instructor for 43 I have seen some bad things happen with mixed up ammo.
We had one rifle in a shadow box display at our French Creek office. A Pre 64 Winchester that had been custom barreled to 25-06. The owner had got a 308 Win. shell in his pocket helping a friend at the range. Then he loaded his 25-06 rifle to check the Zero. The Mauser type extractor caught the rim of the shell and took it into the chamber. When he fired it blew up. The front action ring split right through the top scope screw holes, but not wide enough to release the bolt lugs. Gasses went through the magazine and blew the bottom metal out and busted the stock.. Between strips of the stock wood and the metal parts the display contained over 30 parts. The front bell was torn off the scope. No one was hurt in the incident.

Another incident a custom FN Mauser 25-270 rifle was blown up and destroyed by a 308 Win. shell. The shooter had forgot his hat the hot day of the incident. He had wrapped a big towel from inside his vehicle around his head to keep sweat out of his eyes. When it was over a piece of metal blown out of the gun was recovered from the towel where it covered his fore head. No injury his very lucky day.
Chuck Wilcox a Richie county gunsmith said he had 2 custom rifles he built blown up by someone shooting 308 Win. in them.

Checked a hunter who said he missed a deer 4 time with his 30-06 the first morning of season. He pulled some shells out of his pocket. They looked short to me. I said those look short for 30-06. He looked at base of a shell his face changed. OH S&@! I picked my boys 308 Win. shells when I left the house this morning. We walked back to where he shot at the deer. we found 3 cases that the neck was blown out and just a slight beginning of the shoulder angle.

We checked a hunter one morning who had emptied his rifle at the biggest buck he said he ever seen. He had picked up his buddy's 270 Win. shells at camp. He got to laughing. He said he would have like to see his buddy trying to load his 30-06 shells in his 270 Win.

I always cover checking ammo to the rifle very through when covering the ammunition section of the class. I listen to myself on this since I own 2, 270 Win. and a 308 Win. in my stable. BE SAFE, CHECK AMMO, GOOD LUCK.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts