Need your Expertise (Scope)

FishMorgHunt2

I'm just getting started in my long range shooting endeavor (time for a new challenge). I've read through some old posts and now I fully understand how little I really know. :cool:

I have a remington 700 7mm in need of a scope. I was going to get the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 because of the features, warranty, and price, but then I came across a closeout on a Leica ER 3.5-14X42 for $200 more.

Being on a budget is it worth the extra for the Leica??? Will either scope get me out to 1,000 yards??? Is there a better first scope for under $700???

Your comments are much appreciated!!!

I'm just getting started in my long range shooting endeavor (time for a new challenge). I've read through some old posts and now I fully understand how little I really know. :cool:

I have a remington 700 7mm in need of a scope. I was going to get the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 because of the features, warranty, and price, but then I came across a closeout on a Leica ER 3.5-14X42 for $200 more.

Being on a budget is it worth the extra for the Leica??? Will either scope get me out to 1,000 yards??? Is there a better first scope for under $700???

Not familiar with Leica scopes. But I have a vortex viper HS and it is magnificent for the price. Easily spot targets past 1000 yards. I would put a rail (20moa or more) on the receiver just to make sure you have enough elevation. I have a .308 and it needs just a taaaaaaad more elevation than a standard rail to get to 1000 yards. But as far as tracking, quality of glass, and ease of use...Vortex got it right and under 700$

Do a custom search on the top right corner. lightbulb

I just topped my Sendero SF 7mm STW with a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 with the BDC reticle on a 20 MOA base. Should be a great setup. Even though the turrets are capped, they are finger-adjustable once you remove the cap.

I haven't been able to take it to the range yet, but I got it setup with a set of Seekins low-height rings on an EGW HD 20 MOA base, and it is a mean setup. Can't wait to get out to my buddy's land and stretch it's legs on a powerline shooting some steel.

I think you'll enjoy the scope.

I have the Leica, and a Vortex PST. Glass is much better on the Leica. Vortex is better in every other way.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.