Need your Expertise (Scope)

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by FishMorgHunt2, Feb 28, 2014.

1. FishMorgHunt2

FishMorgHunt2 New Member

I'm just getting started in my long range shooting endeavor (time for a new challenge). I've read through some old posts and now I fully understand how little I really know. :cool:

I have a remington 700 7mm in need of a scope. I was going to get the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 because of the features, warranty, and price, but then I came across a closeout on a Leica ER 3.5-14X42 for $200 more.

Being on a budget is it worth the extra for the Leica??? Will either scope get me out to 1,000 yards??? Is there a better first scope for under $700???

Your comments are much appreciated!!!

2. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

Not familiar with Leica scopes. But I have a vortex viper HS and it is magnificent for the price. Easily spot targets past 1000 yards. I would put a rail (20moa or more) on the receiver just to make sure you have enough elevation. I have a .308 and it needs just a taaaaaaad more elevation than a standard rail to get to 1000 yards. But as far as tracking, quality of glass, and ease of use...Vortex got it right and under 700$

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Do a custom search on the top right corner. lightbulb

4. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I just topped my Sendero SF 7mm STW with a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 with the BDC reticle on a 20 MOA base. Should be a great setup. Even though the turrets are capped, they are finger-adjustable once you remove the cap.

I haven't been able to take it to the range yet, but I got it setup with a set of Seekins low-height rings on an EGW HD 20 MOA base, and it is a mean setup. Can't wait to get out to my buddy's land and stretch it's legs on a powerline shooting some steel.

I think you'll enjoy the scope.

5. jrsolocam

jrsolocam Banned

I have the Leica, and a Vortex PST. Glass is much better on the Leica. Vortex is better in every other way.

6. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

Here's a clue...unless you want to buy twice:

NF