Need a new scope. What are your thoughts?

redhaven85

I'm looking to get a new scope for hunting out to 700-800 yds with my 6.5 Creedmoor. It currently wears a Bushnell Elite Tactical, but the scope has MOA turrets and a mil-dot reticle. It has been repeatable so far out to 1000yds, but I'd like something with an MOA reticle so I can use my data I have for wind hold off and not have to try and calculate MOA to MIL on the fly. And there is no zero stop on this scope.

Something in the 14-16x max magnification range should be fine.

Vortex has several options in the Viper PST Gen II line, and also looked at the Sig Whisky5 options. I just want the turrets to have repeatable adjustments and a zero stop.

Would either of these work, or are there better options around this price range?

I put a leupold vx3 lrp on my creedmoor with the impact reticle. Super happy with it. Works great for reticle holds or dialing. Tracks very well. I think they make 4.5-14. I went with 6.5-20

Vortex gets my vote. Also, you can get free ballistics apps on your phone that will allow you to calculate and swap between MOA/MIL/Inches at the push of a button. The main one I use is BulletDrop+.

You could figure out what power your scope's mildot reticle reads moa. If it's second focal plane, which I'm sure that model will be.

Last edited:
Swfa 3-15x44, ffp, mil/mil, can be had for high $700's new. not much to argue with it. It's a good scope that tracks accurately. Glass isn't special but it isn't bad by any means. The knobs are big and the parallax adjustment is kinda rough but I do really like the scope.

The gen ii pst looks to be pretty nice but I have only looked through them, no shots.

The SHV mentioned is a nice scope except for the eye relief of the FFP model. Buddy had one and recently sold it because of that and got the PST Gen II mentioned above as well. Upon unboxing and inspection it was immediately sent to Vortex due to debris on the reticle, then when he got it back and mounted it realized that a screw on the turret was stripped out. In their defense all it took was a couple calls. The first time they sent a shipping label and he had it back in two weeks, the second call and they overnighted him and entire turret.

I don't have a problem with my SHV and eye relief. It's the sfp model if that makes a difference. That was shooting a 9lb 300win mag 200gr at 2925 with no brake

The SHV mentioned is a nice scope except for the eye relief of the FFP model. Buddy had one and recently sold it because of that and got the PST Gen II mentioned above as well. Upon unboxing and inspection it was immediately sent to Vortex due to debris on the reticle, then when he got it back and mounted it realized that a screw on the turret was stripped out. In their defense all it took was a couple calls. The first time they sent a shipping label and he had it back in two weeks, the second call and they overnighted him and entire turret.
And this is why I won't own another Vortex. Sure, their CS and warranty are great, but when you have to use it twice on a brand new scope, who cares how good the CS is. This seems to be happening way too often for a $1k scope.

I won't own a vortex for the same reason. That's why I went with the Nightforce. The ATACR has all of the options you are looking for, but comes at a pretty hefty price.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.