Need to get this rifle on track

fishingdude7

Hey all, I have a .223 rem 700 ADL model rifle that I got pretty cheap a while back and am wondering what to do with it. After I got it I had some money left over so I got an HS Precision stock (didnt bed it or anything) and that along with my burris 4x14.5 scope are the only real modifications ive made to it.

Ive hunted coyotes and prarie dogs along with done some target shooting with this rifle and the accuracy of it seems to be lacking, and not because of user error i think. Im wondering, where should I start to help get this rifle producing some better accuracy (the groups at 100 yards are sometime nearly 2 inches, and pretty darn sure its not user error)

So, should I get the stock bedded (dont think thats too hard), or get the action trued or focus my effort as of yet on reloading (ive got an old press but havnt messed with it for LONG time). Any other options/suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, i dont know if i'm lacking in head space or something becaue on nearly ALL factory ammo I buy the bolt is sometime hard to close and it kinda shears off a bit of case at the bottom (perhaps this is a cause of the poor accuracy).

So any imput would be appreciated as to where I could start my improvemt for this rifle, while keeping in mind that i dont have a whole heck of a lot of money as of yet and will have to take this in steps. So i guess whereever I could focus my efforts to get the most accuracy out of this rifle would be great. I'd sure like it to shoot down in the 1 nch groups if not less at 100 yds.

I'm no expert here but I would re-barrel it with a heavier contour such as a varmit contour. Are you letting the barrel cool between shot's? How often are you cleaning it? The action and stock you are using is an excellent combo I think you may just be lacking in the barrel department. If you re-barrel consider getting the action trued while the smith is there. You could get a brand new take off barrel from a an ltr or vssf for cheap on ebay or here. Good luck!

If you are getting 2" groups, there can be a bunch of things wrong.

If the 2" groups are wandering, then bedding might be the problem, but H-S stocks ARE solid.

This group was shot with an H-S stock...

http://www.snipercountry.com/images/Pablito-M24-0.46-target.jpg

Make sure that the action screws are really down tight, make sure that the barrel is not touching ANY part of the stock channel...

... if the action screws are tight, and the barrel is not touching the stock, then the stock/bedding is not the problem.

Truing the action will do nothing for a rifle that shoots 2" groups. tens of Thousands of tiny groups were shot before the phrase "truing the action" was ever spoken.

First serious suspect is the barrel. The ADL rifles were not known for good barrels - the ADL was a simple hunting rifle, some shot well but most shot in the 1" to 1.5" range.

Last, and most likely, is parallax.

This can easily account for 2" groups from the best of rifles.

Make sure that Parallax adjustments are set properly.

Go here and read:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

Good luck.

First of all I would have the head space checked by an gun smith .
Are useing reloads when the bolt is tight ?

then change the ammo your are shooting .

check the scope an rings an base .

Change out that stuff first .

I would try the doller bill between the stock an barrel .

What is the kind of scope an rings an base are you useing ?

Redbone

i have not shot factory ammo out of my .223s. i could reccomend some handloads. my brother has good luck with winchester supreme 50 grain out of a 700vssf. go back over the stock screws and scope screws. adjust the trigger. .nothing should shear off the brass case. roninflag

You've gotten a lot of good advice.

I will reiterate some:

Make sure your action screws are TIGHT.

Make sure your ring and base screws are TIGHT (don't crush your scope tube though).

If the trigger is factory, I would lower the pull. You can easily do this yourself with some online research, however, if you don't feel comfortable, it should be a small charge from any gunsmith.

Bed the action and float the barrel. Bedding is a good bit more involved than the aforementioned trigger job, but if your a bit handy, isn't hard to do. Search online for some good instructions (try 6mmbr.com).

Ensure paralax isn't a factor.

Seriously consider reloading, if you don't already. It will take a lot of time and research to get started right, on the accuracy bent reloading path, but it is by far the best thing I ever did for my shooting. If you don't reload, I would start with some match stuff like Black Hills for accuracy testing.

Finally, make sure you start with a (reasonably) clean barrel.

I have never played with a factory Rem 700 that wouldn't shoot 3/4 MOA with some of these tricks (including several ADL's).

Good luck,
Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.