Need suggestions on a lightweight stock/chassis?

Something to consider, and this is my only gripe using a chasis for hunting. Aluminum is really cold to hold on to. Pulls the heat right out of your hands. Carbon is much easier to hold in your hands, wood is the warmest. Only matters when its not slung on your back. Maybe I'm just old and feeble, but I prefer a carbon stock on a hunting rifle that I have to carry.

I am in the middle of a new rifle build and want to fact check my decision.

I am building a 6.5PRC in a short action R700 with a 22" proof barrel.

My intention is for this rifle to be as light as possible while balancing, cost, fit, etc. I have forgone a TI Action for a quality stainless. Truth is, this rifle will probably be shot 70% in recreation and practice and 30% in the field hunting. Wish that was different but that's honest.

I am seriously considering a folding ultra light chassis from master piece arms.

Here's my criteria:

-adjustable length of pull and cheek well.
-DBM
-sling and bipod amenities
-folding stock is very desirable but not essential.
- around $1000 budget

What else should I consider?

Thanks
I would recommend the Ashbury Saber RSA-A3 MRCS-AR w/Magpul components. It is very lightweight, and comes with 2 forends. They are now on sale!!! https://store.ashburyprecisionordnance.com/search?cid=269&txt=saber mrcs-ar

As long he opens up the action a bit and runs aics wsm mags with 2.95" internal length he'll be okay. The problem is, saami chambers have long freebore which works well with Hornady eld bullets that have long bearing surface that typically like to be 50 thou off the lands. Once you start using say a Berger vld that likes to be close, you're seating the bullet out long. The 6.5 prc will work fine, but I'd def consider a shorter freebore of 130. You could take factory ammo and run it through a seating die and bump the bullet in 40 thou or so and shoot.
I am building a 6.5 PRC, and using the AICS WSM mags! As far as a chassis, I am going with the Ashbury Saber. It is usually starts around $950, but are on sale for $349!!!

this one is 10lbs 3 ounces with the suppressor. I am running a vx6 hd 3-18x50 instead of the sightron now.

Stock is a modified mdt lss xl with folder. It's 3 lbs and 2.5 without the folder.

This chassis could be 9 lbs without the can and folder.

I'd look at mpa and xlr light chassis.

D8F1E794-A326-4705-B4B8-79DF46CE0444.jpeg

Last edited:
Something to consider, and this is my only gripe using a chasis for hunting. Aluminum is really cold to hold on to. Pulls the heat right out of your hands. Carbon is much easier to hold in your hands, wood is the warmest. Only matters when its not slung on your back. Maybe I'm just old and feeble, but I prefer a carbon stock on a hunting rifle that I have to carry.

Your absolutely right about that! I have thought about that, I just dont see a cost effective solution for the features.

I am in the middle of a new rifle build and want to fact check my decision.

I am building a 6.5PRC in a short action R700 with a 22" proof barrel.

My intention is for this rifle to be as light as possible while balancing, cost, fit, etc. I have forgone a TI Action for a quality stainless. Truth is, this rifle will probably be shot 70% in recreation and practice and 30% in the field hunting. Wish that was different but that's honest.

I am seriously considering a folding ultra light chassis from master piece arms.

Here's my criteria:

-adjustable length of pull and cheek well.
-DBM
-sling and bipod amenities
-folding stock is very desirable but not essential.
- around $1000 budget

What else should I consider?

Thanks
Morning. I have a 700 Remington BDL in 270 Win with a Maple stock. Now maple is not the lightest wood around bu this is Fiddle back Maple and it is one of the prettiest I have ever seen (pictured on the left, which weighs in at 7 1/4 pounds.

This is a manners eh1 with a carbon cheek piece from the newer collapsable manners stock. It's adjustable with shims under the cheek piece, but it requires tools and extra shims and isnt quick and I do not recommend in the field. But for adj cheek light stock it's around 32oz I believe. LOP is not adj nor folding.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_100951.jpg
    IMG_20190804_100951.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 210
Has anyone tried the new Gunwerks Magnus stocks yet? interested in knowing if the forward slanted comb really helps with recoil management.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/stoc...7-377-219-188-183-181-246-196-451-57-t0-a0-r0

I haven't, seems cost prohibitive for me. I listened to one of their podcasts that discusses the comb on their stocks. Its a interesting listen. Look it up.

I like what the gunwerks guys are about and do. I just cant afford anything they touch...……...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.