Need suggestions on a lightweight stock/chassis?

Rprecision

I am in the middle of a new rifle build and want to fact check my decision.

I am building a 6.5PRC in a short action R700 with a 22" proof barrel.

My intention is for this rifle to be as light as possible while balancing, cost, fit, etc. I have forgone a TI Action for a quality stainless. Truth is, this rifle will probably be shot 70% in recreation and practice and 30% in the field hunting. Wish that was different but that's honest.

I am seriously considering a folding ultra light chassis from master piece arms.

Here's my criteria:

-adjustable length of pull and cheek well.
-DBM
-sling and bipod amenities
-folding stock is very desirable but not essential.
- around $1000 budget

What else should I consider?

Thanks

Xlr element 3.0 magnesium chassis, believe you can get it at 26oz in its most basic setup, once you add folder and adjustable lop it gets heavier. There's also the havak bravo, Christensen MPR chassis. They're lighter compared to many, and the mpr is a folder.
You will not find a traditional stock with adjustable cheek and lip with or without folder that are lightweight. You can get light with a adj cheek but not lop.

I don't think a 700 short action is a good foundation for building a 6.5 PRC.
As long he opens up the action a bit and runs aics wsm mags with 2.95" internal length he'll be okay. The problem is, saami chambers have long freebore which works well with Hornady eld bullets that have long bearing surface that typically like to be 50 thou off the lands. Once you start using say a Berger vld that likes to be close, you're seating the bullet out long. The 6.5 prc will work fine, but I'd def consider a shorter freebore of 130. You could take factory ammo and run it through a seating die and bump the bullet in 40 thou or so and shoot.

It's been a bit since I did mine but I think outdoorsman had a very light chassis. But if I was to do one now it would be the xlr mag. I have two xlr chassis on my big boomers and really like them.

It's been a bit since I did mine but I think outdoorsman had a very light chassis. But if I was to do one now it would be the xlr mag. I have two xlr chassis on my big boomers and really like them.

Thanks for the ideas I will give that stuff a look. I have a XLR carbon chassis on my .300 wm. I have never been a huge fan of the folding mechanism or the adjustments. I guess I need to give it another look.

The adjustment part I do agree with you. I think that could use some work. It functions fine just think they could do it a bit better. Other that that it just takes but to get used to. Sounds like an Awsome build. My next build will be very similar. Light weight and more than likely the 6.5 prc in a chassis. Can't wait to see how your turns out.

Similarly, I wanted to try a chassis based hunting rifle. A couple of years ago MPA offered the now discontinued Lite Chassis in a long action.....desired for my 6.5x284. The weight of the chassis was 3 pounds compared to the 5 pound weight of their competition chassis. The latest light version appears to be available in SA only. Using a 26'" Light Palma barrel, the total weight with a <30 ounce March scope, and attention to accessory weight(rings, rail, bipod etc.) runs 12-13# fully loaded. I personally like the MPA's construction and ergonomics. Most importantly it's the same chassis brand/style used on my PRS rifle. Used it for the first time on a Wyoming whitetail hunt a few weeks ago. While It got the job done nicely, I'm undecided about my preference in stock design(chassis vs conventional) for my LRH.
0A60DA30-B26E-46CA-B744-0BD13D9AA89C.jpeg

With all the features you threw out light weight...no offense but to build a true lightweight rifle everything is a consideration...be happy with a 10-11 lb rifle...that is what you will end up with...and their are a lot of options--and it will get you to the same place.

With all the features you threw out light weight...no offense but to build a true lightweight rifle everything is a consideration...be happy with a 10-11 lb rifle...that is what you will end up with...and their are a lot of options--and it will get you to the same place.

Your right, but its relative. Considering most precision rifles are running 16-19lbs, it's nearly cutting the weight in half.

By my math I'm somewhere around 9-9.5lbs without bipod or can

I built a 6BR chassis gunand it is about 12lbs(MPA chassis)..shoots good and I could hunt with it...but no way I'd call it lightweight. Most comp guns that are 16lb have weight added to them...most standard chassis guns I see without undue barrel contour or weight added with gadgets tacked on are about 11 to 12 lbs... so what you wanted above it is easy to get under 15 lbs... oh and I'd agree on the short action not being perfect for the PRC...

Lightweight...I consider anything under 9lbs scoped, loaded, and slinged...now those options you have to "weigh" heavily....

Hope you find the right combo for you.

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.