Lightweight Rifle Chassis Systems

I use MDT HS3 chassis for my rifle but can't really call my rifle "light".
A friend of mine uses one of their other chassis for hunting application and swears by it.
I'm new to the whole long range thing so that's what I used on my first build

I use MDT HS3 chassis for my rifle but can't really call my rifle "light".
A friend of mine uses one of their other chassis for hunting application and swears by it.
I'm new to the whole long range thing so that's what I used on my first build
Thanks JR1......I also am new to these highly modified LR rifles and a new member......I would like to meet some members in the Missoula MT area to familurize myself with a few of these modern options and learn a lot more than I know now. I had not looked much further than a laminated LR stock such as a Boyds etc.

I have not used it yet; have another month wait for my barrel, but it is very well made ... and XLR (Nick Hunter) has an awesome customer service.

Good luck!

Ed

Patiently waiting for my barrel ...

1%20of%203_zps8a8dywre.jpg

2%20of%203_zpseu18aucv.jpg

3%20of%203_zpsguasjcn6.jpg

I have not used the carbon model. I have the Evolution HD on a Bat 1.55"X8.5" receiver. It is very comfortable I really like the the AR grip and cheek rest.

I have the same Bat action and am trying to lighten things up a bit.

What's the weight of the chassis?

MDT has introduced it's LSS stock for the Ruger American Series rifles and I have mine here. It took about twenty minutes to get it assembled on my RARR in 223 Rem. With a fixed power 6x42mm Leupold M8 Premier Reticle Mil-dot scope, loaded ten round magazine and sling, it's exactly 9 pounds but it feels much lighter.

Total cost to date less the scope is under $1k.

With the original stock, the rifle shoots 50gr Federal American Eagle HP's into .80-95" at 100 yards and my handloaded 69gr Match ammo into .60-.70" for five shots. It has killed several coyots from between 80-330 yards so far this winter.

I shot the rifle on March 25th in 50F temps with a quartering left rear 3-7mph crosswind. The groups were just a bit smaller with 50gr American Eagle HP's, 55gr Blitz King handloads over 25.5gr of Varget. My 69gr Sierra HPBTM handloaded ammo over a modest charge of WW 748 put five into half a dime sized group three times and one group was even smaller for four rounds and then I jerked a shot low left, opening that group up to .5" at 100 yards.

Clearly an small improvement in accuracy, but a huge improvement is shootability with the LSS stock. The 80re loads will feed through the magazines just fine.

Now the bad news, the first round will not feed from the MDT magazines if it's loaded with more than eight rounds. Here was MDT's very quick reply to my question regarding the feeding issue:

"Good morning,

Thanks for the feedback! We always like to hear about how our customers find our products. Your build certainly looks good and seems to shoot well!

You're right about the magazine. Although more rounds can physically fit inside of the mag, we've been telling our customers to use it as an eight round mag rather than for ten. What happens is that the magazine starts to bulge when more than eight rounds are loaded into it. This affects the feeding as well as the fit of the mag into the mag well. It's certainly been a weakness of having a polymer mag. That being said, we'll ultimately be redesigning that mag to increase the sidewall stiffness and allow it to function as originally intended. It will still be a while before that is complete though, and this mag will continue to be sold as an eight round magazine.

Enjoy your shooting and let us know if you've got any other comments.

Richard"

Got to love the honesty, hard to find in this industry sometimes!

I have the same Bat action and am trying to lighten things up a bit.

What's the weight of the chassis?

It weighs 4.46 pounds. You could lighten it up a bit more with a tactical lite butt stock and save 4oz. It would save a few more oz if you went with a carbon fiber hand guard.

I called manners a month ago and they don't inlet carbon stocks for this receiver anymore and mc millian does not either but I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find one. Maybe brown precision, MPI, Proof research?

When I have my 338 AM rebarreled I'm going to use Kirbys lighter barrel contour. If I can find someone to build me a custom lightweight stock for this rifle I'm going to have it finish around 12.5 lbs bipod and all, it sits at 19.5 lbs now. I might not be able to shoot a cartridge like this on such a light platform at the level of accuracy I'm hoping for but, there is only one way to find out.gun)

I'll throw mine in the mix. 6.5x47 Lapua FN Action PDC Custom Chassis Steiner T5Xi 3x15/50. Havn't had time to break it in yet.

Attachments

• 102_0741.jpg
    102_0741.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 125
It weighs 4.46 pounds. You could lighten it up a bit more with a tactical lite butt stock and save 4oz. It would save a few more oz if you went with a carbon fiber hand guard.

When I have my 338 AM rebarreled I'm going to use Kirbys lighter barrel contour. If I can find someone to build me a custom lightweight stock for this rifle I'm going to have it finish around 12.5 lbs bipod and all, it sits at 19.5 lbs now. I might not be able to shoot a cartridge like this on such a light platform at the level of accuracy I'm hoping for but, there is only one way to find out.gun)

My 375 AM w/Mc A5/NXS 56mm scope came in at 19 pounds.

I took every thing out of the A5 to the point of fretting about having taken too much. Removed quite a lot of filler from forarm, butt stock and even drill a 1" hole thru the pistol grip. Got her down IIRC 2.3 pounds.

Next I stuck the barreled action in the vise an milled every thing that wasn't being used off of the picatinny rail. Flipped the action upside down and hawged out anything that looked reasonable for remover from the action which was a bit frightening to say the least.

Lastly, I switched from the NXS to a Leuy Mk-IV gaining more weight loss and removed one of the 4 NightForce lite rings.

She is now legal in Idaho at 15.94 pounds (under the 16 pound big game limit)

Shootability, carryability and accuracy have not been adversly affected.

I'll never shoot out the barrel but a lighter one would sure be nifty. At your goal weight I doubt you'll have a problem. Brakes are more effective with lighter weights and that big PainKilleer is flat awesome.

Roy, I had actually thought about lightening an A-5 I just never knew you could remove that much weight. Does your stock have an adjustable cheek rest? Glad to hear your confidence in a rifle that light. I've been shooting some light rifles at range lately and have been very impressed with the results.

Feenix, whats your estimated finish rifle weight? Id like a chassis as well but dont want a 15lb rifle.

Roy, I had actually thought about lightening an A-5 I just never knew you could remove that much weight. Does your stock have an adjustable cheek rest? Glad to hear your confidence in a rifle that light. I've been shooting some light rifles at range lately and have been very impressed with the results.

not an adjustable cheek piece

She seems to give a firm recoil fore about an inch, gives the feeling of pulling away.

kirby informed me that the lighter the rig the more effective the brake.

makes sense to me.

not an adjustable cheek piece

She seems to give a firm recoil fore about an inch, gives the feeling of pulling away.

kirby informed me that the lighter the rig the more effective the brake.

makes sense to me.

Ok, I figured at 2.3 lbs you weren't running a cheek rest.

Recoil is already very minimal, the big painkiller is very effective!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.