need some reloadingadvice on my 6mm-284

Here is the 15.75 inch 7.82 Patriot XP with a first shot on the small piece of steel at 700 yards using a Harris Bipod. I did have one shot on a bigger piece of steel to see what the wind was doing. It would have been a lethal hit.
Load is my elk load using 180 SGK with MV of 2775.

315767.jpg

fifty, When I built my 6-284, I had several personal email correspondences w/ you in 2002? We went over case prep, barrel manufacurer and your gunsmith reccomendation(since you have started doing your own). I appreciated your advice, but have yet to realize my guns potential. I just haven't spent the neccessary time needed for working up handloads. Yesterday showed some promise. Three loads using h-1000 grouped under 1/2" @100yards. 53gr, then 54gr(chronographed @ 3310 fps), and then 55 gr. Pressure was ok, a lot less than 55 gr rl22. Bolt lift on the Rl 22 loads
was a little much. It seems like the last little bit of bolt lift is always a little hard. I think I'm going to concentrate my efforts on the H1000. Yes I'm using 107 gr SMK moly coated. The h1000 loads also had Fed 210M primers.
Dennis Olsen rechambered my Lilja barrel so I could touch the rifling w/ the vld's and I'm geting good results .010 off the lands. Also got my NF Benchrest 12-42 reworked at their place. They said a few of the lenses were off a little and they regresed the o rings and put new turrets on it. It is much better that it was when I got it. I was ready to sell it and replace it w/ another LR Loopy. I'll try loading up some more 107MK and H1000 trying to get to 3400fps. Also thing off another rest. My current settup is a *** Hoppes and a Protector rear rest. I'd like a Hart or similar w/ a windage top. Any recommendations?

Carverelli,

You may also want to play with seating depth a bit. Drop your load down and seat the 107s 0.020" into the lands. I have found on average that the match bullets prefer to be loaded this way. You do need to adjust your load though and work it back up as this will increase pressure.

Nothing worng with H-1000. Your pressure will be less as you are seeing but it will also produce a bit more powder fouling so keep an eye on that. YOu may need to clean more often but powder fouling is easy to get out quick.

As far as a rest, I use the Caldwell 1000 yard BR model rest. I like this rest as it is very solid, has interchangable top bags. Has ALOT of vertical adjustment and also a good windage adjustment system as well.

Its also reasonably priced. I would say its worth twice what they charge for it. Its not like the other Cadwell rests, this sucker is solid cast iron and weights 24 lbs. I shoot my 36 lb 50 BMG off it and the 28 lb Kahn and it handles them with ease. It will work great for my 60 lb 338 Allen Mag as well I am sure.

331332.jpg

331333.jpg

For the money its very hard to beat and in fact I like this rest better them some of the $400-$500 rests I have used.

For a rear bag I use a standard medium size rabbit ear leather bag filled with heavy sand.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

FWIW I almost always seat my bullets into the lands to begin with. But some still prefer to have a jump, but that seems to be the exception in my experience.

Kirby,
What would be a realistic price for the Caldwell?

Here is a pic of my 6mm-284 with Burris Black Diamond 6-24 w/the Ballistic Mil-Dot Reticle (side focus). Base is an extended Ken Farrel mount for using LER scopes from the prone position.

318120.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.