Need some help w/ my first loads on my new rifle

ttaillac

I've got a new stock Remington Sendero II in 300 RUM. I just bought an EGW base, Bu tactical low rings and had mounted a Vortex PST 6-24X50. I'm looking to sight it in this weekend, but first I need to make up some loads.

I've got all my reloading supplies and a month or so ago, I bought the Berger 210 VLDs (the hunting bullet) and have a bottle of Retumbo. I've got virgin brass and just need to pick up some primers.

I really don't have a lot of reloading experience. Can anyone give me advice on grains of Retumbo and COL using the ingredients I listed above? If I can get MOA, I would be extremely happy. Not sure I have the shooting experience to really work on loads to see exactly what my rifle likes. Said differently - I don't there is any way I could read my groups and determine if that was the shooter or if I should incread a half grain or COL a bit. Just looking for a good place to start loading and sight my rifle in. And then - shoot it through a chrono so I can send my info off to Vortex to get those custom torrets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

When starting new load development i use every reloading book i own. I read the loads and write down the max/min and coal from each book. I then find the mid range load from all of this and start there. I have found my most accurate rounds to be near the max load. I then subtract Max from my Med load and then divide that to get 5 total loads. I then load 5 rounds each and shoot each at a different target. The one that groups the best (Say load 3) ill take load 2-4 and make 5 loads between 2-4 (Not including the 2,4). I then shoot and get the best group. I continue until i get the best group. From there I play around with seating depth. Once i get a good seating depth ill move around the charge range a little bit more. For me its long amounts of trial and error, but i get lots of shooting practice in doing this.

Always shoot through a chronograph, record each velocity, they should all be close, you will also find that your lowest ES is probably your most accurate load (In my rifles it is).

Ill be starting my load development for a 338-378 wby here soon have some 300 bergers but thinking about moving down to a 225 or so. Ill be using H870 (Found 2 cans sitting at the floor of the home FFL who transfered the rifle, and was able to get 2# for 20 :) )

This might not be s big deal to many here, but it was a big day for me today.

I put it all together (rifle, base rings, scope), sighted it in with 3 factory shots, then shot 4 - 3 shot groups of my hand loads. (All 3.63 COAL, with 210 Berger VLD Hunting) with 89, 90, 91, & 92 grains of Retumbo. The 92 grains was my best grouping. Not just today, but ever!

IMAG0760.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.