Need some help, very confused, trying to load some hammer hunters

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BeaverHunter, Feb 10, 2019.

1. longrangebob

longrangebob Well-Known Member

Just gave Quik look - so do not know if this was mentioned -- so, if brass is proper length, if shoulder is set back, if case has been full sized --
    Is the dimension in front of the BELT correct ??
    I know it sounds like you haven't fired the brass enuff to cause the expansion I'm speaking to - BUT check the cases that won't chamber easily & Smoothly when empty -- if you have some that won't -- check that dimension!! It may be the brass expanded too much there or dimension of those is too much !!!

That is a problem that will develop with repeated firings of belted Magnums --- Larry Willis has a die that will fix that !!!

LRB (been loading my 300Winny since 1974 & after a time, you just have to replace some brass !!! But I think that should be way too soon for you)

2. longrangebob

longrangebob Well-Known Member

LRB again -- are you feeding primed brass that you have emptied?? If you are doing a lot of feeding & checking - consider removing the firing pin -- just saying !!!

3. Wieslaw Blonski

Wieslaw Blonski New Member

Try larry willis belted magnum collet resizing die! WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM
    I had exactly same problem-no more!

4. jimma123

jimma123 Member

5. jimma123

jimma123 Member

Did you use the same bullet to make the measurement or the cheaper brand , not saying the cheaper bullet is of poor quality. but the comparators don't measure the same as the exact bullet diameter .

6. cajun

cajun Well-Known Member

I would get a hornady headspace comparator as mentioned and measure a fired case versus resized. If you have a spent 9mm case you can use that in a pinch. Also the case head above the belt looks pretty rough. Hard to tell.

7. Ted Sierocinski

Ted Sierocinski Member

8. Ted Sierocinski

Ted Sierocinski Member

Try adjusting your dies to maximize the depth to which the case will go in and the try rechambering them while they are not loaded. If they chamber and later won't chamber with the bullet seated, then you may have neck diameter issues

9. Ted Sierocinski

Ted Sierocinski Member

Also check the bullet diameter.

10. Wieslaw Blonski

Wieslaw Blonski New Member

11. truck driver

truck driver Well-Known Member

You really should sacrifice a case fired in your rifle to use with the comparator since it will have the proper chamber dimensions for your rifle. Using the Hornady case will get you close but no cigar.
    I do believe if you send them a case fired in your chamber they will drill and tap it to fit the comparator tool and this might the way to go for you.
    Also get a #10-35 bushing so you can measure your cases off the datum line to see just how much your setting the shoulder back.
    If you notice in my pictures I only set my shoulders back .0005" to reduce case stretch and ware, one case is sized and the other isn't.
    Also if you notice the set screw which holds the bushing leaves a rough gouge on the bushing which cause the the bushing to be off set.
    I lightly stone the tip of the set screw to get ride of the burr that causes this and make sure the dial on my caliper is set to zero with the bushing install and the caliper closed on the bushing.

Attached Files:

12. BeaverHunter

BeaverHunter Well-Known Member

There is a lot to take in here on this thread now. Especially since I'm not a seasoned vet at reloading.
    To respond to a few of you guys at once here goes:
    1. The brass I'm using is once fired Nosler brass
    2. The brass was fired in a different 300 win mag than I'm currently trying to reload for
    3. The oal measurements I've been taking have been using a 181 hammer hunter from the same lot I'm using to reload.
    4. I'm full length resizing because this is a hunting gun and have always understood full length resizing makes it less likely to have issues like this
    5. I've only been reloading for about a year so some of the headspacing/more technical questions are kind of going over my head
    6. You guys have all been very helpful and I can't say thank you to you all enough!

13. BeaverHunter

BeaverHunter Well-Known Member

I have to work today so I won't be able to get home and try and figure out whats going on until later tonight but here is what I'm thinking about trying, tell me what you guys think.
    1. I might have more than one problem but until I get the brass issue figured out, no reason to mess with the oal issue
    2. Im going to chamber a piece of empty resized brass and compare that to one that wont chamber and see/measure where the differences are.
    3.I'm going to try and seat my resizing die a little deeper and see if the brass will chamber(on the pieces that wont chamber)
    4. If number 2 or 3 doesn't work, I'll try developing this load with brand new brass(which in hindsight is probably what I should have done to begin with)
    4. If none of that works, I'll give up on reloading all together, admit I'm an idiot to my wife(who I convinced buying all this reloading stuff would save me money), sell all my reloading stuff for 50 cents on the dollar and go back to paying $50-$90 a box of ammo.
    Obviously I'm kidding about number 4 but this has been pretty frustrating and I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to everybody that has commented on this thread.
    What do you guys think about my plan of attack?

smokey3 and MNbogboy like this.
  14. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Your doing fine, don't let the learning process frustrate you, take one issue at a time and focus on that till it's solved then move to the next.