Confused need some opinions.

kustomkoatings

I was shooting my 338 Lapua today and locked the bolt up twice, both times I was unable to extract the round. This rifle has always had a tight bolt after firing but I figured it was the action it is a BAT and seems to have really tight tolerances. But today shooting my normal load of 92 gr Retumbo it got really tight, I have tried several things but I dont know what is causing it, therefore kinda hard to fix it.

I tried bumping the shoulders back further, I went as far as shellholder would let me, and that didnt seem to help. Rounds easily chamber but after firing still tight.

I lower the charge weight down from 92 to 86 gr Retumbo, It was better @ 86 gr but still a little tight. 86 gr is a starting load so that has me concerned.

Cleaned the Chamber out as well.

Anyone have any Ideas?

Are the cases starting to separate at the Head? Any galling on the lugs? Also I just noticed you are in Missouri. Moisture on your cases or condensing in the chamber will cause the case to expand
in length as well and can show the signs you are having. No different than oiling a case you are fire forming to make it grow. What was the weather and humidity like when you were out?

Last edited:
I have had the same problem and haven't had time to find out why it was happening. Trimmed the brass, set the shoulder back etc etc. Still haven't figured it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.