Need some help...6.5 Creed + Barnes LRX

Wallnutt

Anyone have any load data that was successful for 6.5 Creedmoor and the Barnes 127 LRX bullet?? I tried seating depth changes and no luck, just won't group well. Not my rifle, but its a Browning A-Bolt 3. Its an 8 twist barrel. Ideas??

I don't have any experience with the LRX. I was hoping to use that bullet in a new 6.5X47. I was advised on here not to use it because of lack of expansion. So now I am going to go with the 130 AccuBond. My other X47 shoots the 130 Berger great but this gun will be used in tree stands for close shots. Only thing I have read about the Barnes is they like a jump. How far off the lands are you? what powder and primer combo did you try?

Tried 4350 and superformance. Started.05 off the lands and worked back. Nothing's will group inside an inch.

Try shooting your load a little farther. MOA is not a bad load. Most rifles are not capable of much better. If they were bench rest shooters would not be shooting full custom rifles.

My goal when loading customer rifles is always sub moa. Sometimes moa is as good as it gets and only if the rifle is left to cool completely between shots.

Good luck.

Steve

How far back did you work with seating depth? I would suggest the Berger Seating Depth Test if you have not already tried it(there is a sticky with the test in this forum). I started using the Nosler RDF's and ran the Berger test. Went from 1"+ to 3 touching (this was at .090" jump). Since you are moving the seating depth .040" with each step you are testing a wide range of seating depths. Once you find a good depth with this test, you can check with smaller adjustments on either side if you want.

Run em fast and run em deep.

I've loaded the LRX in a 30-06 and 300 WM. Both shot significantly better seated DEEP-.070" off the lands in 30-06. The 300 WM is so deep that my comparator won't even tough the ogive. Have to take COAL instead.
Deeper than I wanted but shot well. Preferred to be at the higher end velocity node too.
TTSX did the same in both rifles.

How far did you get in your seating test?

Made it to -.07 and got disgusted. That seems REALLY far into the case. More bullet in the case than I'm used to seeing.

Try rl 17 and maybe make a primer change. What brass manufacturer are you using? Barnes current download data has that particular bullet seated pretty deep too.

Keep your powder and primers and run the Hammer Hunter 124g. Seat them to convenience and you will be done loading inside 25 rounds. If you can't get them to shoot we will by back the rest of the box for the full price of the box.

Steve

I will be switching to the Hammer 124 grain bullets when I run out of LRX in my 260. For now I am shooting 44.7 gr of Superformance with a CCI 250 in RP Brass at 2865 fps. 2.248 ogive. 3 shots touching appx 0.3" group consistently. This is a Savage Model 11 that I have stiffened the forend and bedded the recoil lug and action. I would highly recommend trying magnum primers with Superformance but you will need to drop charge weight and work back up or do a complete workup again.

I will be switching to the Hammer 124 grain bullets when I run out of LRX in my 260. For now I am shooting 44.7 gr of Superformance with a CCI 250 in RP Brass at 2865 fps. 2.248 ogive. 3 shots touching appx 0.3" group consistently. This is a Savage Model 11 that I have stiffened the forend and bedded the recoil lug and action. I would highly recommend trying magnum primers with Superformance but you will need to drop charge weight and work back up or do a complete workup again.

We are big fans of mag primers in non mag cartridges with our bullets. Seems to give a better start.

Steve

Keep your powder and primers and run the Hammer Hunter 124g. Seat them to convenience and you will be done loading inside 25 rounds. If you can't get them to shoot we will by back the rest of the box for the full price of the box.

Steve

I know what Steve says is almost too good to be true, but believe the man!! I purchased some of the Hammer Hunters for my 7 STW and 6.5-284 Norma. The load development was done for the 7 STW (using the 143gr Hammer) was done in 8 shots. Then 3 more shots to verify velocity and another 5 to verify zero. Easiest load development I've ever done. These bullets are super forgiving to seating depth and Steve is great with helping you on load development. My big issue now is what to do with all of the Nosler and Hornady bullets I've stockpiled!!
I'm still doing load development with the 6.5-284 Norma. Ran into pressure spike issues using N165, so I'm switching powders. Otherwise, I'd probably be done with load development for this rifle too!!

Good luck
Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.