Need smith with 28 nosler reamer.

BallisticsGuy

I have a barrel in 7mm Rem Mag that I've got maybe 100 rounds through that I want to chop an inch off of, thread the muzzle, turn the profile to something a little lighter and re-cut the chamber to 28 nosler. Looking for a smithy that has the reamers and that can cut a good match quality chamber. Suggestions please. My normal smith would need me to buy all the reamers so I'm looking for one that would likely have them on hand.

I have several 28 nosler reamers. I've built over 30 so far this year alone. They've all shot in the .2s moa wise or better. Several customers have sent me groups in the .0s&.1s moa wise. However I won't work on an already chambered barrel.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

Last edited:
If only because re-chambering a rifle that has been fired can ruin a good reamer due to accumulation of carbon in the current chamber you may find it difficult to find a gunsmith who will do the work you're after; unless of course you bought the reamer.

Correct. That is the reason. I only use JGS reamers so I don't want to ruin a $200+ reamer for a $250 dollar chamber job.

Do yourself a favor and get a new barrel. Paying someone to cut a new thread tennon, cut a new chamber, thread a brake, and re-profile a factory Remington barrel is a waste of their time and your money. You'll also be much better off with a custom barrel when it's all said and done.

Do yourself a favor and get a new barrel. Paying someone to cut a new thread tennon, cut a new chamber, thread a brake, and re-profile a factory Remington barrel is a waste of their time and your money. You'll also be much better off with a custom barrel when it's all said and done.

Yup. I'm surprised it took this many posts for this point to come out. Maybe gunsmiths don't want to give the appearance of raising cost and increasing profit. I'm not a gunsmith, so I have no trouble piling atop your comment. The barrel will be the least of your expenses. Why take the risk of spending the money for quality gunsmithing services by re-working a possibly poor performing factory barrel. You'll be much more apt to get a shooter if you spend the extra money and but a quality, aftermarket, custom barrel.

My guess is that 95% or more of the gunsmiths contributing to this Forum agree. But I understand the reluctance to pile on, when they're working for money. Their fees will be about the same either way, but they'd rather end up with a happy customer, than a disappointed one because a factory barrel still won't shoot.

Not a factory barrel. Actually a very very good shooting barrel. Sigh. Guess I gotta call Lilja and get a pipe ordered. On the upside, I'll have another switch barrel.

Well that makes it a little different. I thought it was factory. I guess you'll have to decide what is best for you.

I would still be against turning down the contour.

Just not different enough to get past the first blocker which is no smith is going to recut it with their own reamer but the thought also crossed my mind last night that the 28 is something I think I'll want in stainless which my current barrel isn't so I'll just grab a new one. Yay six week wait time. The contour on my existing barrel is ridiculous, there is no taper at all. It's like a truck axle with an 11 degree crown. For days when I couldn't use my braked 7mag I wanted it as heavy as possible to suck up the recoil but I don't have that limitation anymore and the 28 is definitely getting a brake. No way I'm burning 90 grains of powder without a brake.

That makes sense.

If you don't want to wait there is a nice #4 contour Bartlein 1-9 twist in the Classifieds on here for sale. Not sure what you're after but thought I would throw it out there.

While you are at it, do yourself a favor and buy your own reamer.

If you rebarrel or rechamber later, everything should match up die wise etc.

You can always sell it later if you decide to go to another caliber also.

I do have some 7mm 8.5 tw brux barrels instock. #5 contour interrupted fluting and also rem varmint contour straight fluting, both 26" finish. 450 shipped. I have used the 8.5 tw in the 50+ 28 noslers Ive built since last August and they have stabilized fine and shot phenomenally.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com
563-586-2000

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.