need .284 Win reamer

8x68s

Long shot (LOL) request: does anyone have a reamer for a .284 Win, preferably with a long, shallow throat angle (1.5*) for longer bullets. I am rebarreling to ,284 Win and want to use longer/larger bullets... Used or rental will do, obviously prefer newer to older. Thanks for your input. I should mention that I'm really interested in doing a 7mm/6.5 WBY RPM but may be too early to find a reamer for that.

SAAMI spec reamer isn't going to have enough freebore, you'll need .220-.225 is what I'm told (finally building one for myself), and I'm going to need to throat it longer anyway because the PTG "Match" chamber (picked up as a steal, unused) still doesn't have quite enough freebore.

4D has a similar reamer for rental (mine has a .315 neck), but again- not enuf freebore for you to seat out heavy VLD's without lengthening the throat.

Best bet would be for you to determine what you want for neck diameter (whose brass? turn/no-turn?) and freebore and get it ground specifically for that chamber. Doubt you'd get lucky and find one close to what you want in stock- but might call JGS to check.

I was thinking the same on the questions you posed. I noticed in the SAAMI drawing there was NO freebore which I thought was a bit weird. I was guessing .188-.250 for freebore. Hadn't thought about neck dia. but so as not to be too finicky (hunting rifle) standard dia. would do. I have a std. reloading die set for .284 and will put together a cartridge with long bullets seated the way I want and have the reamer cut to that example. Not too worried about cartridge length as the action is '06 length.
Thanks for the info and the heads up on neck diameter! Not a lot of info out there for the original .284... 🤔

yeah, I knew that but thanks for the reminder. As mentioned above, I'll do a "wildcat" version suited to the chosen bullets.

decide on your brass if using 284 use .322 neck, if necking up 6.5-284 use .318 neck, if your going to turn necks .315.
.225 freebore will be good for the 180 class bullets and under

decide on your brass if using 284 use .322 neck, if necking up 6.5-284 use .318 neck, if your going to turn necks .315.
.225 freebore will be good for the 180 class bullets and under
interesting and curious... why would one need to turn a .322 neck all the way down to .315 on the std .284??

the .315 neck is for when people neck up 6.5-284 and want to turn necks for consistency and also helps with the doughnut that you can get necking up lapua 6.5-284

received my reloading components and dies. I'll put together a dummy cartridge to send off to Manson to have my reamers made. I've done this a couple times before creating my own wildcats and it's a lot of fun!
Thanks for the info and opinions, gents! 👍

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.