need a smith

jasonstewart

needing a smith to do some work. i have a vssf .308 remmy with 20 rds down the pipe. i want to have the action timed,trued,blueprinted,etc.. but i dont want to change barrels yet. not enough lead through the pipe to justify a new barrel. all help is greatly appreciated. also, i dont want to have to donate a kidney to have it done. thanks, jason

Kirby Allen, Shawn Carlock and Jim See are just a few of the folks here who could help. Contact them and check their pricing and then decide for yourself.

When I work up a "full monty" blueprint job on an action it involves cleaning up the receiver threads. This means the barrel is going to fit rather poorly when its reinstalled because the pitch diameter changes on the threads. No getting around this part unless you delete the step entirely and that means you get shortchanged a bit.

The second half is that anytime a tool touches the lug surfaces/action face, the headspace and breech clearance will change too.

You'll be well advised to just wait until you shoot out this barrel. This way when a new one is installed it can be done after the action work is completed This will work better because the threads on the barrel can then be fitted to the receiver properly and the other critical barrel dimensions will be spot on.

Just something to think about.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.