Need powder sugg for 300 WSM 1 in 11 twist

Could you guys tell me about the Ramshot powders? Is "Hunter" a ball or stick powder? Temp sensitive or not? Enough people have mentioned that one I think I will give it a try. I called Nosler about the Vhit 560 and the guy i talked to said they hadn't used it, but he didn't do the tests himself. Sierra has had great luck with it and the heavier bullets though. Right now I think I will focus on the 165 bullets and H4350, RL19, and Hunter.

Just an update on the Tikka. I have not had time to reload for it yet, but I have spent a bit of time making the short action into a long action. I have cut back the bolt stop and taken out the magazine spacer, adjusted the magazine lips to allow for sliding the shells back straight to the back, polished any rough spots in the magazine, and made it so the spring sits .3" farther back than it did. Works as slick as can be. I can seat either the 180 grain nosler BTs or accubonds to the lands, and the junction of the boat tail on both bullets are just barely below the neck/shoulder junction of the case. I kept putting shells into the magazine and chambering the rounds to make sure everything was smooth, and it was perfectly smooth every time when I was completed (50 or 60 rounds without trouble). I love the fact that a shell will chamber smoothly and flawlessly whether I load from the magazine or just by dropping a shell in the port (not using the magazine). I have spent my extra time loading for the custom 300 win mag I had rebarreled, but I will get to the tikka. The range over here is snowed in, but since there has not been any new snow for a while, I think I will try to get out on it this next weekend. I spent this weekend building an inexpensive but sturdy bench.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been using 190 and 210 JLKs and bergers, 180 SSTs with H4350, MRP and F210 primers.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Bounty. Am I right in stating that MRP has a burn rate nearly identical to RL22? I ask because I have 3 lbs of RL22.

I Have a 300 wsm In a winchester With a hs precision stock I am getting sub 1/2 groups with 58.5 G of 4064 and I have Killed 2 cariboo at 450 yards. schilen I would love to see a picture of your rifle . ([email protected])

Hey, thanks for the info Killahog. My 300WSM is nothing great. just a good plane jane tikka T3 with a 1 in 11" twist barrel (their standard).

My pride and joy on the other hand is a win 70 chambered in 300 WM, trued action, sleeved bolt, fine tuned trigger, glass bedded in a hogue stock, and topped off with a 28" 5 contour 1 in 11" twist Broughton 5C. This rifle will shoot .3" at 100 yards when I do my part. I have only shot it 3 times since I had it rebarrelled, so I have only developed loads and took the tuned loads out again to make sure they are what the rifle likes. I have not played the long distance game with it yet, but I will tomorrow though only out to 300 yards. It is a drive for me to shoot out to 1000, but I will get there.

You know, I say the Tikka 300 WSM is nothing great but it still shot about .6" with the first load I tried through it (I did not even pull the rifle out till today), and there is still a lot more playing to do. 180 grain NBT with 63.5 grains H4350. Like I said, I am seated way out since I converted the tikka to a long action. I saw no pressure signs, so I think I will try to 64.5 but will stop there since this is above listed value. BTW I was using Norma brass and WLRM primers. Thanks to everyone for the load info.

I am using 150 grain Sierra BTSP's in my Tikka T3. My powder of choice in this bullet weight is IMR 4320 @ 58.4 grains for a velocity of 3,044 fps. It is a mild load but extremely accurate. It helped me to take an Antelope @ 452 yards back in August in New Mexico. Good luck w/ yours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Could you guys tell me about the Ramshot powders? Is "Hunter" a ball or stick powder? Temp sensitive or not? Enough people have mentioned that one I think I will give it a try

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunter is a ball powder and is not temp sansitive. I use Hunter in my 300WSM BAR with excellent results. 71gr of Ramshot Hunter, 165gr Nosler Partition, Win Brass, Fed 215 Primers, sub MOA at avg vel 3155fps. Ramshot list 73.2gr as max at 3152fps. I had 3280fsp at 73gr. with no signs of pressure. I droped back until I reached published vel. of 3152 (71gr). My gun likes Hunter so well I stopped testing other powders completely. When the snow melts I am going to give Hunter a test run in my 30-06, hoping for good things.

I've found that Accurate Arms Mag-Pro works extremely in my short mags .270 & 300.Excellent accuracy wiht all weights of bullets.Its a ball powder and meters very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.