Need powder sugg for 300 WSM 1 in 11 twist

shilen30

I just got a Tikka T3 stainless in 300 WSM (mine was not a recall BTW). It has a 1 in 11 twist, and I plan on shooting 165 or 180 grain bullets with it. I have 165 grain HPBT sierra GAMEKINGS and 180 grain BTs and accubonds on hand. For powders I have lots of IMR 4350, H4831SC, and RL 22. I don't care as much about velocity as I do about accuracy. What in your opinions would be a couple of my best powder choices (whether I have the powder or not) to test first? Of course i don't know how much time I will have to work up loads since I just got my 300 win mag back from the smith. This time I put a 28" #5 contour broughton 5C 1 in 11" twist on it and had the bolt sleeved and action glass bedded (everything was already trued, trigger lightenned,and pillar bedded stock put on it from the time I had the shilen put on it).

of the bowders you listed i've had my best results in a buddy's 300WSM with 165gr Balistic tips and H4831sc , its eems to be very consistant , not the fastest but the most accurate
the gun is a Browning A-bolt

Thanks J. Any other powders I should try including those I didn't list? Others have also told me H4831SC, and this has been my go to powder in my 300 win mag as well

Shilen,

I tried several different powders in my 300 WSM and the best consistency came while using R22 and the 180 NBTs. I found it to produce great accuracy and good velocity.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Winchester uses their 760 ball powder in the factory loaded 180's. I have had excellent success with H-4350 with both 180's and 200 grain bullets in my .300 WSM.

Nosler uses Vit N560 to test all their loads in 300 WSM. High velocity & great accuracy. I've also had good luck with Ramshot Big Game & the new Ramshot Hunter. All three powders are not temperature sensitive & show low Sd.

Got the same rifle except in blue. I'm just starting to test N-550 with 165 gr bullets. Had good luck with R-19 and H-4350. I haven't tried H4831 or H4831sc in this 300wsm but in my custom with a 5c barrel 1/12 twist it's a pretty good powder. You will like that 5c barrel. I'm going to have another rifle done up with that barrel but in 1/10twist haven't decided what 30 caliber yet. Back to the Tikka got it this past summer and most groups have been 1" or less and velocity has been around 3000fps with 165 and 180gr bullets. Keep us posted as to what powder you like best.

Excellent info everyone. I know with my 300 win mag primers made a suprising difference in accuracy. Yah, I know I need to test some for myself, but does anyone have a favorite primer? I see Ric likes the WLRM primers, and He no doubt proven that they work, but others swear by Fed 210M primers. For those that have listed H4350, Vhit 560, RL22, and H4831 (long or SC) as their accurate powders, what primers and bullet weights are you teaming the powder up with? I will try the WLRM mag primers as Ric suggested with the H4350 (I assume this is with heavier bullets such as the 190s Ric?).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.