Need new glasses with Bifocals

cowboy

Well the time has come where I need to wear bifocals all the time to see things within arms reach. Looking for some input on what to look for and what not. I have been told that I would be better off with straight line bifocals set lower in the lens versus progressive type bifocals for the amount and type of shooting i do. I would even consider a safety glass type of frame such as a Wiley-X shooting glass. If anyone has been through this I'd appreciate your comments and all the pro's and cons I should look for. Thanks again and best of Holidays to everyone.

I wear progressive bifocals and have since I started wearing glasses. I've never had a bit of trouble with them in any kind of shooting.

I've never worn the straight line type bifocals but the sharp cutoff line seems like it would drive me crazy. I know with the progressives your brain just seems to do all of the work and the adjustment for reading or longer viewing is done without even thinking.

I too wear the progressive bifocal lenses, and I'm very happy with them. A few months ago I went to the eye doctor and complained that I have trouble seeing clearly up close, he recommended the progressives. I took his advise and ordered a pair. I also upgraded to a new type of lense called "Izon". He did an opto map of my eyes that told him that I would benefit from the Izon lense.
This upgrad is not cheap, but I'll tell you that it was worth every penny. The easiest way to describe the lense would be going from a normal TV to an HD TV. It actually look likes you are seeing objects in HD. Great depth of field.
As a back up, I also ordered a normal pair of lenses wity the Izon technology in case I don't like the progressives for shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.