Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

For my 2 cents, Any Zeiss is better then any scope discussed here so far, better in every way< brightness clarity,sharpness, quality, resale, price, tracking, optics, reticles,and the most durable with consistant eye relief. For 369.00 to 399.00 the 3-9x40 (consistant 4" eye relief)I don't think can be beat and a 6.5-20x50 can be had for 779.00. Of all the post on scopes on the other forums on this site it is very clear that Leupolds are sent back for repairs more then any other scope and I find it the same on other sites as well and that their about 40 to 45% overpriced for the quality you get. Their warranty isn't any better then most others,> the only good warranty is one you wont or most likely wont need, you'll get a lemon with anything you buy, just don't want something known for lemons. Zeiss have reticles to cover any hunting needs you have or want and ALL of my zeiss scopes are worth more now then I payed for them and I have yet to have one fail,and I own nine on magmuns as well as Binos and 85mm spotter.

I might suggest that Lapua Guy take the SIII and A Leupy out in the field and do a comparison. It's extremely difficult to evaluate a scope indoors...with flourescent lighting etc. Might just change your mind regarding the optics. As far as reticles go....guys can find things wrong with just about any reticle. For my eyes...the SIII compares very favorably to my NF NXS....not as clear as my NF BR. But for the price range the OP is trying to maintain....it's a very nice option. I would also say the upper Vortex scopes are a very strong value and great performers.

For the price point that the OP is trying to maintain...the SIII is a very strong contender.....and would be less money when compared to comparable Leupy's.

We all have our favorite's...to each their own...but the SIII is a better scope than has been represented in some of the posts.

Wayne

For my 2 cents, Any Zeiss is better then any scope discussed here so far, better in every way< brightness clarity,sharpness, quality, resale, price, tracking, optics, reticles,and the most durable with consistant eye relief. For 369.00 to 399.00 the 3-9x40 (consistant 4" eye relief)I don't think can be beat and a 6.5-20x50 can be had for 779.00. Of all the post on scopes on the other forums on this site it is very clear that Leupolds are sent back for repairs more then any other scope and I find it the same on other sites as well and that their about 40 to 45% overpriced for the quality you get. Their warranty isn't any better then most others,> the only good warranty is one you wont or most likely wont need, you'll get a lemon with anything you buy, just don't want something known for lemons. Zeiss have reticles to cover any hunting needs you have or want and ALL of my zeiss scopes are worth more now then I payed for them and I have yet to have one fail,and I own nine on magmuns as well as Binos and 85mm spotter.
post a link to where you can get a 6-20 zeis for 800.00

Not sure I have heard anyone ask the OP what his intended use is? Are you going to dial, hold over or use the reticle for compensation? What style of reticle do you want? FFP or SFP? What features are most important to you? Lots of questions need to be answered before we can push you in a direction.

Something under a cool $1K? IF you are going to be shooting long distance and cranking on the nobs...I would go with a Super Sniper. That is one purchase that I have never regretted. Ever. Tracks consistently, holds zero and is clear. This scope is TOUGH. But - I dropped my rifle on concrete once - on the top turret. They fixed it, no questions asked. If you want to sell it to upgrade they hold their value quite well. Oh, and a mildot master... My $0.02

For my 2 cents, Any Zeiss is better then any scope discussed here so far, better in every way
The Conquests are very nice scopes for the money, there's no doubt about that, but you may get some argument on the above. For example the 45 MOA of elevation travel on the 6.5-20 simply isn't enough for many here. If you want to dial elevation and hold wind, they don't have the best reticles for that. If you get a mildot you're stuck with MOA clicks, etc.

Not to disparage them, I'm just trying to bring in a little reality. Unless one is very easy to please or has simply never used anything better, any scope in this price range is going to be compromised in some way. Whether it's elevation travel, glass quality, matching clicks, reticle selection, turret style, focal plane choice, etc, the user who only wants to spend this much is going to have to choose what is most important to him and accept compromises in other areas. I don't think one can be crowned "best" when those choices will be different for different people.

Uh no. That isn't even a logical comparison, but mere hyperbole to ennunciate how you hate Leupolds. Zeiss is a fine scope, don't get me wrong, but not so good that a 3-9x40 functions better than a 6.5-20x50. It simply isn't true. Simply demonstrating your lack of veracity: You can't see as far at 9 power as you can at 20 power. Elevation on a 3-9 won't be half of a 6.5-20.

And most Leupolds go back because they get dropped or stepped on and then get replaced for free. Calling them 'lemons' is idiotic. Sorry. You can not like them, but saying they never work right is just plain not intellectually honest. The Leupold bashing is getting ridiculous.

I don't like Sightron, but saying they are junk is not right either (and if I have in the past, in the heat of an argument, I apologize). I just don't like them in comparison to my Leupolds.

The only Leupold I have ever personally sent back was near 50 years old. All 11 of my others VX-I on up to Mk 4s have worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
Not sure I have heard anyone ask the OP what his intended use is? Are you going to dial, hold over or use the reticle for compensation? What style of reticle do you want? FFP or SFP? What features are most important to you? Lots of questions need to be answered before we can push you in a direction.

I have several times. No answer.

This scope will be used for the following initially:

Mounted to a Savage action .243AI 1/8" twist 26" Shilen barrel.

We have a new 1000 yard range close to my house. I will begin shooting at distances familiar to me (100 - 300 yards) and as my long range skills develop work up to shooting at 1000+ yards. targets will be paper and steel.

It will also be used for:
Hunting Whitetail, javelina, coyotes and hogs from 100 - 400 yards.
In the future hunting game and varmints further as my long range skills increase.
It may also be used in conjunction with my .22-250 for a Pdog shoot in the future at distance.

Hope that helps and thanks for all the replies.

Then I suggest that you get a scope with a reticle you can hold over with easily. The Varmint Hunter with Leupold, or the Z-plex if you went with Zeiss. They will have windage and bullet drop built into the scope.

It sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Back when I shoot highpower competition AAAA and traveled all over USA, my friend and I had more reps offering the best product to shoot with. I mean free the best products back than. It has been Leupy from day one and I have had over 75 of them. I have shot next to the best and witnessed it all, Leupy has been like god to me, and yes my eyes are 20-15 in both if not better. Yes I do own a few others and they are NightForce. Its one or other

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.