Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

But as I stated before all Leupold scopes at THIS house went the way of Ebay and for good reason to ME. This way I won't have to mail any of them to your buddy at Leupold.

So did you send yours in or not?? Which is it? Also, you sold supposed non-functioning scopes to some poor sod on Ebay (not to mention you are supporting an anti-gun website)? I hope you disclosed the scopes misfortunes. Otherwise I might question more than just your 'opinion' on scopes.

You are right, I don't believe you. No reason to get sanctimonious about it. It is what it is. The existential truth just happens to lay with questioning everything you have claimed.

So did you send yours in or not?? Which is it? Also, you sold supposed non-functioning scopes to some poor sod on Ebay (not to mention you are supporting an anti-gun website)? I hope you disclosed the scopes misfortunes. Otherwise I might question more than just your 'opinion' on scopes.

You are right, I don't believe you. No reason to get sanctimonious about it. It is what it is. The existential truth just happens to lay with questioning everything you have claimed.

As I had posted on the thread "Is my scope giving me large groups". (yes I sent it in).

But will copy it here again for your amusement since you where nice enough to ask.

"I sent a VX3 back that was doing the same thing and no rhyme or reason to where it would shoot next. Problem was that groups were not real bad just not as good as the 7STW had performed before putting the VX3 on it. Was about the same power range scope as I had taken off.

I was sure that it was the scope so I went back to the first old (and cheap) bushnell that you could barely see thru in low light and groups came right back, now that aint good when you have spent money on a scope of this cost.

Sent it back to Leupold and they told me they had checked it extensively and there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back to me. It went the way of Ebay."

Question my integrity as you wish, for as you say, it is what it is.

You have certainly managed to answer any questions I have had about you and your opinions as well. Going back to trolling, lying and selling on Ebay now.

Thanks for asking tho.

So yes I sold it on Ebay, if is was good enough for your buddies at Leupold it was good enough to sell, and did disclose that it had been to Leupold and checked out.

You win, I have had enough, so you must be all and know all.

As I had posted on the thread "Is my scope giving me large groups". (yes I sent it in).

But will copy it here again for your amusement since you where nice enough to ask.

"I sent a VX3 back that was doing the same thing and no rhyme or reason to where it would shoot next. Problem was that groups were not real bad just not as good as the 7STW had performed before putting the VX3 on it. Was about the same power range scope as I had taken off.

I was sure that it was the scope so I went back to the first old (and cheap) bushnell that you could barely see thru in low light and groups came right back, now that aint good when you have spent money on a scope of this cost.

Sent it back to Leupold and they told me they had checked it extensively and there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back to me. It went the way of Ebay."

Question my integrity as you wish, for as you say, it is what it is.

You have certainly managed to answer any questions I have had about you and your opinions as well. Going back to trolling, lying and selling on Ebay now.

Thanks for asking tho.

So yes I sold it on Ebay, if is was good enough for your buddies at Leupold it was good enough to sell, and did disclose that it had been to Leupold and checked out.

You win, I have had enough, so you must be all and know all.

LOL. More sanctimony. Take your ball and go home then. It was never about winning. It was about veracity of information. If you want, send me your ticket number for Leupold and and I can send it to my friend to see what was up. :D

As for me, I have owned more than you and had no problems. I must be blessed.

Any of you guys ever have somthing that u really like and thought was cool ,and then u found out somebody else had one and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And that started u thinking that u might not like what u had quiet so much because ,well the other guy that had one acted like a jerk and was a know it all, and just one of those guys that kinda rubs a guy the wrong way. That's the feeling I get after reading this post. It's kinda a not so warm and fuzzy feeling and makes a guy hope he not like the other guy because he like some of the same stuff.

As for me, I have owned more than you and had no problems. I must be blessed.
How much cranking of the turrets do you do, anyway? If all you do is sight in a scope and leave it, you'll never notice most of the problems that get complained about here.

Any of you guys ever have somthing that u really like and thought was cool ,and then u found out somebody else had one and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And that started u thinking that u might not like what u had quiet so much because ,well the other guy that had one acted like a jerk and was a know it all, and just one of those guys that kinda rubs a guy the wrong way. That's the feeling I get after reading this post. It's kinda a not so warm and fuzzy feeling and makes a guy hope he not like the other guy because he like some of the same stuff.

Really good assessment of the situation right there! I am happy with all of my scopes...which span the spectrum...from Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex, Sightron, NF and Premier...got a couple of others that escape me. Having said that...I think it's great to have so many good choices...I enjoy participating in discussions about many of these scopes...but it's sad when things go south. Everybody has their favorite brand of everything....but up to this point in time....we thrive on choice. Maybe in time...we'll get to a point that we can't own a rifle scope...then guys will feel really bad that this discussion went south.

By the way...the S III is a really good scope for its price point...as always..IMHO. May we always have more choices than time or money :)!!!!

Wayne

That S lll sounds like a great scope I was leaning toward the vortex but ,now iam thinking S lll .

I have nothing but good things to say about Vortex. I've got a Viper on an AR...works extremely well. I've got a pair of Viper Bino's...very nice for the $$$ and also a spotting scope which is very nice for the money. Either brand would serve you well. I feel the same way about my S III's....great scopes for the money...they've served me well and I expect they'll be with me for a very long time.

Life is truly good when you have such good choices in front of you :D

Wayne

How much cranking of the turrets do you do, anyway? If all you do is sight in a scope and leave it, you'll never notice most of the problems that get complained about here.
I have a girlfriend, no need to crank turrets. :D

It depends on which scope. My Mk 4 gets cranked quite a bit, as does my GBP which is basically a M4 ruggedized VX-3. I do a lot of hold over now though I will admit, with the Varmint Hunter Reticle. NO ISSUES.

Wait, have you ever owned a Leupold? Just wondering because all your stories seem second hand.

On the Vortex, I will probably check one out eventually now that it seems their problems are worked out. They do make some good value Binos. Being an illuminated reticle it really isn't high on my list, however. A lot of states I hunt in don't allow an illuminated reticle. I will give it a look. Might even look at the new reticles on the SIII.

My whole issue was the anti-leupold bs that usually comes from someone who has never owned one. Not saying that is you.

Last edited:
You might want to consider a trijicon. Right at the top end of your budget but I have been more impressed with it than any cheaper scope I have bought in the last few years. Sightrons are okay, but I like the trijicon better. It dails well, glass is good. I have not seen any reviews and do not know a thing abou tthe durability other than it has worked thus far. Just throwing another choice out there for you.

I am slowly switching away from higher mag scopes. I am finding that I do not need the high magnification as much as I once thought I did. I have started ordering VX3s in lower magnifications with turrets and mil dots.

As far as the VX3s I have several and only have one that needs repair right now......I wore the dang numbers off the elevation dial dialing it. I am not a sightron owner at the time but have shot using them, fine scope for the money as is the conquest. With the conquest you are usually going to automatically need a base with some angle built in.

Wait, have you ever owned a Leupold?

I hunted and shot almost exclusively with Leupolds for nearly 20 years. In my family and with our hunting friends Leupold scopes easily outnumber any other brand.

My whole issue was the anti-leupold bs that usually comes from someone who has never owned one.

I've found the exact opposite. Everybody and their dog has used Leupold scopes. They aren't some unknown quantity that only a select few have experience with. EVERYBODY has used Leupold scopes.

To the contrary, it seems the people who defend them beyond all reason ("E" from another board an obvious example) are people who have never tried anything better.

So tell me, have you owned a S&B? Premier? IOR? Razor? NF F1? Hensoldt? What "good" scopes besides Leupold have you owned from which to base a comparison?

I hunted and shot almost exclusively with Leupolds for nearly 20 years. In my family and with our hunting friends Leupold scopes easily outnumber any other brand.

I've found the exact opposite. Everybody and their dog has used Leupold scopes. They aren't some unknown quantity that only a select few have experience with. EVERYBODY has used Leupold scopes.

To the contrary, it seems the people who defend them beyond all reason ("E" from another board an obvious example) are people who have never tried anything better.

So tell me, have you owned a S&B? Premier? IOR? Razor? NF F1? Hensoldt? What "good" scopes besides Leupold have you owned from which to base a comparison?

Never owned, but have used in S&B in the service when I was hangin with some blokes from across the pond. They use them on their AI 338LMs. I think S&B is probably the best glass out there, bar none. I also like NF. Both however I feel are way to heavy for hunting use and not as durable. I have shot through all the others except the Razor and IOR. I would still put S&B above them all.

For hunting purposes though, for the money, you can't beat Leupy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.