Need help with critical decision

ktjones

First, Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a long time and this is my first post.

I know it's a matter of opinion in many cases, and people have reasons for their opinions, but I need some help with this and I believe the experience herein can help.

I'm looking at getting a 300 WSM or a 300 WM and I have the rifles narrowed down to the following; Howa 1500 Lightning with the Hogue stock, Browning A-Bolt synthetic stock (used very lightly), a Tikka T3 light, or a Bowning A-Bolt Medallion in wood w/Leupold VX3 3-9x40 (for a couple of hundred more than the others which are similar in price). I'd like to know what others who have shot any of these think of them and if you'd get another one or recommend one and why. I"ve seen similar threads, but most are from around 2010 or earlier, I'm just wondering if any opinions have changed. I'll be hunting deer mostly, some elk and possibly black bear, and maybe punching some paper now and then.

I appreciate it, thanks in advance,
Kyle

Why are you so limited in your choices? When you can get a Remington 700 SPS in either 300WM or 300WSM on sale at the big box stores for <$500.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

If you force me to choose from among the rifles you have listed, I would probably go with the Tikka because of the availability of after market upgrades. Also, there's a guy on this forum whom I respect quite a bit and his screenname is TikkaMike.

First off I'd take the 300wm over the wsm. And its almost a coin flip between the howa and the tikka. Not sure what twists are available. One thing to consider is the tikka is almost 1.5lbs lighter than the howa. As mentioned there are more aftermarket options for the tikka.

I have a 7.5# 300wm and its not for the faint of heart esp w/ crimped factory loads.

All those rifles will be very light, especially the tikka. I've shot my buddies stock tikka t3 lite in 300 win mag. It really is punishing on the shoulder. I can shoot 80 full brass 12 gauge loads and not feel a thing. But after 4 shots from that tikka, my shoulder had visible bruising I could feel for 2 days. If I was ever going to buy a rifle that light and powerful, I would put a limbsaver kick pad on it asap.

With that said, the tikkas are wonderful guns.

I would not buy any of the ones mentioned. My experience with CURRENT production models is to purchase a Savage. Most accurate out of the box in my experience.

I have a t3 300 WSM. Love it! Great accuracy, trigger and light. Buy a sims pad and be happy. Win mag also good. Pick either same action so no real weight savings in wsm.

I also have the T3 in a .300WSM. Recoil is noticeable. Light and nice to carry. Action is smooth. trigger is very good. I get 1/2 min accuraccy w/ TTSX's in it. That is for the first dozen shots and then I need to clean it again.... Bruce

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. After reading, the Tikka seemed to be a crowd favorite, except for the recoil. I stood there with both the Tikka and the Howa on the counter for 45 minutes shouldering one then the other, working the bolt, feeling the weight, etc., etc.. In the end I went with the Howa for 2 reasons and neither of them was cost as they were within $75 of eachother. First, many people talked about how punnishing the Tikka was because of its weight. That of course was a concern of mine since this is my first 300WM and the Howa was probably 2lbs heavier. I don't mind humping an extra few lb's up the mountain (Hooah) if it means I'm not going to flinch on the shot because I beat the crap out of myself on paper. Second reason and most importantly, while the Tikka was very nice and the action felt terriffic, it's thin stock and light weight just didn't seem to fit me well and the heavier pillar bedded Hogue stock with a wider butt plate just shouldered very nicely and seemed to really fit me. The trigger is adjustable and without any adjustment, It's a very nice, light trigger (1.87lbs) out of the box. It came packaged with a scope which I took off and replaced with the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. I find the eye relief a little short, but the glass couldn't be clearer.

My elk hunting trip got scutteled this year so I'll take a nice MO whitetail with it this year. I have a nice piece of ground (over 500acres) with some nice whitetails on it if someone wants to trade a bear hunt or something:D

Sounds like you made a good personal-value based decision. That's the best kind. enjoy your new rifle and come back here anytime you need help. There are plenty here ready to dispense 'good' advice! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.