Need Magnum Decision Help!!! 300 Mags

RemingtonShooter

Hello all,

So, I have decided that I need (well...more like want) a 300 Mag. I have approached this with the normal OCD research and reading that we all naturally expect and joyfully embrace. Although I dont reload currently, I have the equipment needed and intend to reload.

Things that matter: Accurate, packable and reliable.
Purpose: Large Deer, Elk and anything in the lower 48.
Where am I at: I have narrowed the rifles to the ones below and must make a decision by July 5th.

I have decided on the 300WSM mostly due to short action benefits. My understanding is that I may have issues if over 180 grain bullets are wanted or needed.

Savage Model 10 Predator (the all brush camo), no accustock. They do exist although not in the catalog. $600
Savage Model 10 Max-1. $860
Sako Tecomate. $1100

I have Tikkas, Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers and Savages. Of the three above what are your thoughts? I am leaning towards the Sako.

My uncle has already told me to man up and get a 300 Roy. His opinion is that since I dont own a 300 mag now, and I intend to reload, costs to shoot is marginally more and the 300 Roy is more versatile. I am open to to 300WM Sendero or 5R as well, I just hate the stocks, palm swell to big...I like the old SF stocks, seemed better for hunting to me.

Have a great July 4th. If your veteran or have veteran or active duty family member, thank you for your service, dedication and sacrifice.

N

Last edited:
Hello all,

So, I have decided that I need (well...more like want) a 300 Mag. I have approached this with the normal OCD research and reading that we all naturally expect and joyfully embrace. Although I dont reload currently, I have the equipment needed and intend to reload.

Things that matter: Accurate, packable and reliable.
Purpose: Large Deer, Elk and anything in the lower 48.
Where am I at: I have narrowed the rifles to the ones below and must make a decision by July 5th.

I have decided on the 300WSM mostly due to short action benefits. My understanding is that I may have issues if over 180 grain bullets are wanted or needed.

Savage Model 10 Predator (the all brush camo), no accustock. They do exist although not in the catalog. $600
Savage Model 10 Max-1. $860
Sako Tecomate. $1100

I have Tikkas, Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers and Savages. Of the three above what are your thoughts? I am leaning towards the Sako.

My uncle has already told me to man up and get a 300 Roy. His opinion is that since I dont own a 300 mag now, and I intend to reload, costs to shoot is marginally more and the 300 Roy is more versatile. I am open to to 300WM Sendero or 5R as well, I just hate the stocks, palm swell to big...I like the old SF stocks, seemed better for hunting to me.

Have a great July 4th. If your veteran or have veteran or active duty family member, thank you for your service, dedication and sacrifice.

N
300 win and 300 rum. I've got both and they are great. The 300 win(long) will walk the wsm and stay with the weatherby, and the rum is above the other three by a good bit. The others will serve well, but these two are simply natural choices for 30's. Ammo availability is good for these two also. The roy works, but the rifles are spendy for what you get and brass and ammo costs are worse than the ultra(which performes better).
As far as rifles, most are pretty good today, just get one you can stomache to start with, or get one built. Getting frustrated with percieved wrongs with the rifle will kill your confidence in it's ability to perform.

I personally chose the 300WSM, however I have an ongoing love affair with all things 30 cal.:D

I had a 24" barreled Model-70 Winchester 300Wby mag. It was a great rifle, but without the 26"+ pipe its severely handicapped. Cost of components vs performance was dismal. Sold it, & had another Win-70 long action built into my 300wsm.

Long story short, if you want the extra performance that the 300 Wby can deliver, you HAVE TO HAVE at least 26" barrel or longer. If its a short pipe, the 300Win, & 300Wsm will basically mirror its capabilities for less cost in components, & barrel/throat life.

If your into launching heavies, the Wby & RUM will more easily break 1k, due to case capacity. But the Win, & Wsm will also get you there easy enough.

My decision was simple. I figured if I was gonna drop the hammer on an Elk "past 1k", id have a big 338 built, but any critter in the lower 48 inside 1k & the 300 mag of one variation or another was the clear choice for me.

Best advise I can give, is after your OCD has turnned you into a ball of nerves, pick one & don't look back. You'll be very happy with any of the 300's you listed. They'll all work to 1k on Elk with the right bullet. Splitting hairs on which is "best" just muddy's the water. They all have thier positive attributes, & shortcomings. But again every one of them you listed will get you there.

What issues may occur if I want to load 208 amax is either the Sako or the Savages? Will they fit in the Magazines? May be a stupid question but thought I would ask

Winmag has good logic on this. The win mags are probably the best overall. If you really want a short action, go with the wsm. If you are already buying a med or mag action, look at the other two. Then find a wseet load and don't get uptight about a percent or two difference, as a mulie or elk won't notice when you blow one through him. I don't think I'll get into the big 338's, as I already have a 338 win and a 300 U, but the ultra and lapua are both strong cartridges.

So.....what did you decide on? What is your new edition to the arsenal?
Found this thread too late, but I would have recommended a Remington 700 in 300WM. I've had mine for several months now and love the 300WM cartridge. I had a Winchester 70 Coyote in 300WSM and it was a very accurate rifle too. I reload and like the versatility of the 300WM over 300WSM, including the fact that there are many more published loads available for the old-timer (300WM).

Just in case you haven't made a purchase, take a look at Cabelas. They had a special edition Remington 700 BDL in a matte/satin blue finish with a fluted barrel and XCR syntheitc stock (introduced in 2010 from the salesman's comments). I was up at the Richfield, WI store on Monday and they had one in 300WM left on clearance ($499.88). I love mine so much, that I have them transferring a 30-06 version to my local Cabelas store.

What issues may occur if I want to load 208 amax is either the Sako or the Savages? Will they fit in the Magazines? May be a stupid question but thought I would ask

If you do not make any modifications, you have no choice but load within the limits of your magazine OAL ...

or

use it as a single shot if you load longer than your magazine allows.

I have a SAKOM995 in .300 Win Mag with detachable mag and my .208gr A-Max load (3.62" base to tip of bullet, not ogive) does not fit in my Savage111F in .300 Win Mag (internal staggered blind mag). However, if loaded per reloading manual (3.34"), no problem.

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks all for the great advice, cant fault any of it! I decided on the Tecomate in 300 WSM of course. I was drawn to it because of the SS finish, the fluted barrel,B&C stock, weight and the reputation for accuracy. Although I could have gotten a Tikka or something else, I really wanted to try the Sako. I have never owned one so why not.

I hope its a shooter and just not pretty to look at. The only thing I am thinking about is the light weight but the big bang (recoil). But then again, I am not "plinking" with it. Get it dialed in, find the right ammo, get comfy and it goes into he safe until used......right?

Arrives Tuesday....range time Saturday. Putting a Zeiss 4.5-14 on it.....

N

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts