Help with Caliber decisions...

FieldsOfFire

I have a base model Remington 700 in 30-06 that I would to make useful. Lately most of my trips to the range have included bringing my family and starting to teach them the essentials to shooting accurately (or at least somewhat consistently). My question is, I have this long action just sitting there and I figured I could have something built a little on the friendly side of shooting most of the day. It's mostly bench or prone shooting, and I'm thinking about something that I could have a little versatility as well. It doesn't have to be an elk slayer. I can't really predict the future, but ranges would probably never exceed 500 yards. I'm pretty indecisive about this one. Ideas have been various 6mm calibers, 6.5x284 Win, or even something like a 280 AI.

I'd just like to have something else so I don't have to put them behind my prize possessions any more. It was my first deer rifle bought for me by mother so if I build this for them to keep around the family, then I suppose the gun has come full circle.

Thanks for any help guys. -Chris

.280 AI is a great all-around caliber. Decent barrel life, and can definitely exceed 500 yards if you wanted to.

Another fun caliber for 500 yards and less is the .25-06 AI. Very flat-shooting with Berger 115's and excellent velocities with slow powders like RL25, 7828 SSC, RL26, 7977, and H1000. It's a bit of barrel-burner, but if you let it completely cool down and don't exceed more than 3-5 rounds per string, it should last a decent while.

If you want something you can shoot a lot, low recoil, and not really have to worry about barrel life, a .308 Win is hard to beat. And it would still be great for sub-500 yard hunting.

.280 AI is a great all-around caliber. Decent barrel life, and can definitely exceed 500 yards if you wanted to.

Another fun caliber for 500 yards and less is the .25-06 AI. Very flat-shooting with Berger 115's and excellent velocities with slow powders like RL25, 7828 SSC, RL26, 7977, and H1000. It's a bit of barrel-burner, but if you let it completely cool down and don't exceed more than 3-5 rounds per string, it should last a decent while.

If you want something you can shoot a lot, low recoil, and not really have to worry about barrel life, a .308 Win is hard to beat. And it would still be great for sub-500 yard hunting.

I was going to recommend the 6.5-06, only downfall to that is no factory ammo. Little better barrel life than 25-06.

A .308 isn't the most practical on a long action, I don't think I'd go that route.

I was going to recommend the 6.5-06, only downfall to that is no factory ammo. Little better barrel life than 25-06.

A .308 isn't the most practical on a long action, I don't think I'd go that route.

Might not be utilizing the most out of the action, but it would still work. He could always go with a .30-06 AI. I have one of those, too, and it's an exceptional cartridge. It comes very close to the .300 WinMag.

.280 AI would still be my first recommendation.

270 or 280. A 270 with 130's has low recoil and kills well. The 280 has a bit more flexibility. I'm a 270 fan and siting your criteria plus the fact that you can purchase ammo brass for this anywhere it is sold. It would be my choice for lighter framed shooters

I forgot to mention that I do reload. I'm no expert by any means, but if I have a decent load figured out, I can crank out some range worthy rounds. It is definitely useful though to be able to pick up rounds at the store on a whim too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.