Decisions decisions

Seriously? A .264" bullet for Elk? Maybe I do overkill everything. I've always thought using a 7mm Rem Mag on Elk was the bare minimum, with 30 caliber preferred. Of course I have never had the pleasure of an Elk hunt either.
What makes you think a 7mm bullet has any more lethal potential then a 6.5? Terminal ballistics doesn't generally care what diameter a bullet is. It cares about velocity, bullet design, shot placement, and weight. For many years the 7mm billet of choice was 140 grains. Today many use a 160. Run a 150-160 out of a 7 or 6.5 at the same basic speed and there is very little difference except the 6.5 has a higher sectional density and bc.

At some point people need to spend time understanding terminal ballistics, not just internal and external. It's all part of the same process and not just piece can be ruled out based on assumptions.

So I had my mind made up on a 300wm for future big game hunts but kept my eyes open for any deals. I just happened across a Christensen Ridgeline in 26 Nosler that I could pick up right around $900 and it appears to have been shot very little. My reasoning for wanting the 300wm was for potential elk in 2021 but reflecting on what the vast majority of my hunting will most likely be I see far more whitetail, axis, antelope, muley, etc in the mix. With my youngest son having a 6.5 Creedmoor I'm looking really hard at the above Ridgeline in that when I start reloading, hopefully very soon, that it'd be a little more streamlined as opposed to having 2 totally separate animals so to speak. Also, if I wanted to use it on elk I could always develop a load with the 156gr bergers that should dispatch one in similar fashion to slightly larger calibers.
Well I've shot my fair share of elk in Colorado with a 260 Rem 140 grain Berger's. I do believe my furthest shot was just shy of 700 yards on 1 elk. It was a cow elk. Last day to hunt. If my 260 Rem can do it than I can't see why a 26 Nosler can't. 6.5 cal is the most common cal rifle used on elk. I'd say go for it and don't look back. Colorado says 25 cal is the bare min for elk. The last I checked and way.

Well I've shot my fair share of elk in Colorado with a 260 Rem 140 grain Berger's. I do believe my furthest shot was just shy of 700 yards on 1 elk. It was a cow elk. Last day to hunt. If my 260 Rem can do it than I can't see why a 26 Nosler can't. 6.5 cal is the most common cal rifle used on elk. I'd say go for it and don't look back. Colorado says 25 cal is the bare min for elk. The last I checked and way.
Most common caliber used on elk? I don't know one person in Idaho that uses a 6.5. There are some, sure, but it is not the most common here.

I have been watching a couple guys shoot thru clay pigeons on YouTube.....the first couple rifles i think we're 308 and 300wm...
One clay difference between the two....they did a 50 cal...and they were talking about it was gonna tear apart 200 clays....it made about 100....i was surprised myself...i figured 160 pieces...all bullets from all rifles were obliterated....even the tipped 50 cal....
The biggest difference between all the rifles was the amount of clays blown in different directions at the beginning of the stack....other than that...really wasn't much difference...to me..this actually shows better bullet performance than water jugs....although it being a solid material....
I have a 65284 and 26nosler....have collected bullets from game that have traveled the lenght of the deer.....i would have to say complete bullet performance for the 142lrab from the 65284 and 140acc in the 26nosler....do I think they can handle an elk....well...most of my elk hunting is behind me..of which most were taken with an arrow...
I feel the bullets i have and have not recovered show a correctly picked 264 caliber bullet will do it's job at realistic distances...
I have seen and heard of heavier calibers losing elk..not that they didn't die...just weren't recovered.....i know of one big eastern oregon bull that took ten rounds to keep down....those bullets from 2 300wm and 1 300wby......different bullets from 3 different rifles...and the 150 corelok was the only bullet that was found inside the vitals......
I know whom was shooting the corelok..and which rifle.....it has accounted for a lot of elk......i also know the other shooters...elk was the meat for the table.....
264 bullets with the correct loads..and correct placement....will kill just as well as anything......

I am a 6.5 tragic... so given the right circumstances and distances involved, with a steady hand and great shot placement I could take any larger animal with my 6.5 Swede using either 139 gr Vulkans or 156 gr Normas at moderate velocities, the results will surprise you. Its not all about speed....

All your Parks And Wildlife Books will tell you caliber rifles that are approved on what game. The last time I went to Colorado on a hunt I Thank was about 6 years ago. It was a elk hunt. I shot me a bobcat and a few coyotes. But no elk. Ran into a couple hunters and the Game Warden. He was confiscating their harvest and their guns. They shot about 1 hr after sunset. The Game Warden asked me if I was the one who shot about 30 min ago ( about 2 hrs after sunset ). I said yes sir. I shot a bobcat and a few coyotes. Told him I was from Texas. I haven't field my elk tag yet so I thought I would do some varmint hunting. He just told me have a nice night and good luck on my hunt.

I asked because my friend was on a guided hunt in New Mexico and the quide told him that more and more guys with 6.5s were coming than any other calibers. The guide said they all used 6.5 Creed's and we're have no problems at all with killing elk. I really don't know why so many members on this site say you need a 30 for elk. The great sectional density of the big 6.5s should penatrate just fine and have plenty of energy. No I have never killed an elk but will some day that's why I read this site. But the info is so split on calibers for elk. Why?
Shep

I couldn't
I asked because my friend was on a guided hunt in New Mexico and the quide told him that more and more guys with 6.5s were coming than any other calibers. The guide said they all used 6.5 Creed's and we're have no problems at all with killing elk. I really don't know why so many members on this site say you need a 30 for elk. The great sectional density of the big 6.5s should penatrate just fine and have plenty of energy. No I have never killed an elk but will some day that's why I read this site. But the info is so split on calibers for elk. Why?
Shep
agree more. I know this will ruffle some feathers but I feel it's more of a ego thing about shooting a 30 Cal. I have a 300 WM Sendero sitting in my safe. It's sighted in. I have just never killed anything with it. I bought it cause it was a good deal for a Sendero. $700. I hunt with friends and family. I take my 260Rem, 7 Mag, and 300 WM when I go out of state. I take extra guns just in case. One of my friends dropped his gun before and broke his scope. If I didn't take extra guns his hunt would have been over. Some of these hunts are ridiculously high. It would stink to not be able to hunt cause you broke your scope. I've dropped my gun myself before. I'm not perfect. All the elk I've dropped have been with my 260 Rem 140 grain Berger's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.